The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Php 5.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostricity, Jan 10, 2006.

1. hostricity

hostricity Active Member

What is the status on supporting PHP 5.1? We are currtently using PHP 5.0.4 which is currently supported by CPanel.

We have a problem with a particular vendor that had php 5 problems. They fixed the php 5 problems. But, php 5.1 is required for their php 5 fixes to work.

I'm not usually hot to get on the latest release. But, in this case, I'm seeing a lot of activity around php 5.1 because it apparently fixes a large number of php 5 problems. So, it appears that PHP 5.1 may be a special case in that it needs to be implemented quickly to resolve these issues.

So, we need to know when PHP 5.1 will be implemented.

We may have to buy another server and install Virtuozzo / Plesk on it so that we can support our customers requiring PHP 5.1.

2. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

Many are waiting on cPanel for PHP 5.1 also, but CP people have never been good on supporting anything remotely close to its release date. Example: we're still on MySQL 4.1.14 and the latest phpbb is 2.0.18, which contains security problems. It should be in by the time PHP 5.1.6 is out or so.

3. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Which are not critical. As they said on their page this is cosmetic build, not security.

I've seen available exploits for 2.0.18 and they're based on brute forcing.

4. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

You say we are still on MySQL 4.1, well most of us are on 4.0.25. 4.1x is not completely stable so who knows what stage MySQl 5x is at...

5. hostricity

hostricity Active Member

How about some real information on PHP 5.1

I'm really more inteersted in knowing about when PHP 5.1 will be available than sniping at Cpanel.

I'm also interested in comments about whether PHP 5.1 really is an especially important update as my vendor has asserted and I mentioned in my original post.

6. NT

NT Well-Known Member

Hi,

I would say PHP 5.1 is especially important if you're running PHP 5.0.X, as it fixes a number of issues with early PHP5 releases.

If you're running PHP 4.4.1 though, I don't see any major need to update to PHP 5.1 unless you need/want the added features and better OOP framework.

Thanks,
    Nick.

7. umutbesler

umutbesler Active Member

Hi,

You said that 4.1x is not completely stable but on mysqls site they say:

MySQL 5.1 -- Alpha release
    MySQL 5.0 -- Generally Available (GA) release (recommended)
    MySQL 4.1 -- Generally Available (GA) release
    Older releases -- older releases

Their recommended release is 5.0.x and they are not saying 4.1 is not stable.
    The other important thing is mysql 4.1 has a lot of new features than 4.0.

8. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

He ment on the control panel. CPanel implements things a little strangely. I am wondering if anyone has looked into creating there own build of PHP with Apache and updating MySQL without encountering problems.

I am thinking about ditching the control panel all together as it always keeps me behind in the web development world. As much as Cpanel automates it also creates that many problems. CPanel doesn't seem as focused driven towards stability instead is more feature and money based as most companies are. If you look around at the smaller control panel companies aka directadmin they seem to be on the ball.. Looking at their forum it seems like they had it in November of 2005.

I figure a control panel shouldn't be that hard to build for one platform so I am going to go down that route eventually to keep all of my own stuff going :)

9. hostricity

hostricity Active Member

Yes. We are running PHP 5 now.

We are running PHP 5.0.4 (Or, whichever is the current CPanel latest).

I am glad to see that you confirm my assertion that 5.1 is major fix for php5 and so should be made available quickly.

10. ninjatech

ninjatech Registered

Huge list of bug fixes in 5.1, it would be nice if we could get this sometime soon. As a programmer myself I like to keep with the current practices and so had to goto php 5.05 for the better OOP support. Having 5.11 would be really nice. Is CPANEL just not getting enough money to hire enough folks to keep updates resonably timely?

11. stasd

stasd Active Member

Oh, I just want PHP 4.4.2, but Cpanel doesn’t support it :(

12. NT

NT Well-Known Member

4.4.2 won't be supported for a while yet - it was only released yesterday!

13. MeGaMASTER

MeGaMASTER Well-Known Member

It's much more simpler to compile it by yourself if you want the latest version.

14. stasd

stasd Active Member

Agree, but I pay to cpanel not for my work and I have a lot more then 1 server, so it's take a hole day. Sorry I didn't see PHP 4.4.2 released yesterday. Will wait. Support PHP 5.1.2 it's good idea I wont try it on new server.

P.S. Zend Optimizer support for PHP 5.1 http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-optimizer.php

#14 stasd, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  15. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

Do you know if there is any thing specific that needs to be done to make it so cpanel doesn't break by the upgrade? Otherwise I am going to do a manual upgrade tonight to 5.1 :)

16. MeGaMASTER

Ok follow these steps:

INSTALL Zend Optimizer 2.6

1. Download the latest ZO

2. Extract the archive using

3. Enter the extracted archive's directory

4. Install ZO and follow instruction on screen.

INSTALL PHP 5.1

1. Create a php file with <? phpinfo( -1 ); ?> in it and upload to your server.

2. Access it from your browser and copy and paste the configure command section into a blank file. It might look something like this:

3. Strip all single quotation marks from the configure command make it look as the following:

4. Save the file as 'phpcompile' on your drive as we will be using it later.

5. Download the latest PHP5 tar.gz archive to your server, you can use the following command:

6. Extract the archive using

7. Enter the extracted archive's directory

8. Copy your 'phpcompile' file into this directory, make it executable, configure, compile, and then install:

9. Restart Apache for the new php version to take effect. Check the phpinfo page for the result.

Ref: http://auraclesupport.com/?affid=45

NOTE: To save your time, you may now use the same 'phpcompile' file for all your servers. Also note if you are going to install Zend Optimizer 2.6, don't compile PHP with --enable-versioning as ZO is not compatible with it.

#16 MeGaMASTER, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  17. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

wow i figured i was going to have to recompile apache :) nice to not have to do that again.

although the installation steps are somewhat wrong on that.... zend optimizer should be installed last otherwise there can be conflicts between versions.

18. MeGaMASTER

Not really, installing php manually will not overwrite your php.ini and installing Zend Optimizer will just change the installation path and version number in this file.

19. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

my reason for saying that is php when making its extensions for itself does a phpize command against php. this makes it bind to that version of php specifics. it may do it differently now days but back in the earlier versions it did this type of command :)

20. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nup. PHP runs independent of cPanel - unless it is the built-in cPanel one.

Regards,
    Alan