The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5.3.8 Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vlee, Dec 30, 2011.

1. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to know if the current version PHP 5.3.8 compatible with the web applications that are listed in Softaculous, Fantastico De Luxe and other website applications?

Or

Should I stay put on PHP 5.2.17 until later on.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since Softaculous and Fantastico De Luxe are 3rd party products that are not affiliated with cPanel, Inc., I can't speak to their support or lack thereof when it comes to PHP 5.3.8 (or any other version). This question is best asked to those organizations directly.

However, I would wager it's a safe bet to simply observe what version those installers would install for you and then visit that script's website to check on compatibility.

For example, Fantastico De Luxe reports on their site that they install WordPress v3.2.1. From there, you can go to WordPress' main site and check their requirements. The requirements page says WordPress 3.2.x supports PHP 5.2.4+

Each script will have its own requirements and its own compatibility concerns. You'd have to individually check each script/version installed by Softaculous/Fantastico and confirm manually.

Or, like I advised, perhaps Softaculous/Fantastico have done the work for you and already know if any scripts have any PHP 5.3.x or 5.3.8 concerns. I can only advise contacting them directly.

3. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I done a few tests on a test server and everything works fine so upgraded PHP on the production servers and no issues with now websites.

Now it would be nice to uninstall PHP 4 on a couple servers that run both PHP4 and PHP 5 but finding out that this task would not be very easy to do.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are correct that there isn't an automated "uninstaller" for removing PHP4 when you had been running a PHP4 + PHP5 dual setup. You would need to manually remove the PHP4 binaries and such to effectively remove it (after you had run EasyApache without PHP4 selected, of course).

5. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would be nice for some one to put together a nice step by step documentation for how to remove PHP 4 safely with no down time and without no issues.