The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5 and 4.3.11 simultaneously

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sketch, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Sketch

Sketch Active Member

Hey folks--

I really want to move to PHP 5 and start taking advantage of the features in it. Howevver, I don't want to break compatibility with 4.x designed code.

I admit having not done too much homework on the issue. I am not a full time web host. Mostly my server has my own stuff, but I do host several other friends and web dev clients. I don't want to break things, you know?

Is it possible to run both 4.3.11 and 5 on the same Apache instance? I notice in the build script, both versions are using checkboxes which means theoretically, both could be selected. But will it break the system?

Aaron

2. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can run PHP 5 parallel as a cgi module.
    I recommend using suPHP (www.suphp.org)

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump, but is cPanel/WHM capable of installing them in parallel for me (like Plesk can)?

And if not, then is cPanel going to mess stuff up [on its updates] if I do it manually?

4. steven99

steven99 Registered

It wont do it parallel, as far as I know, however, you can do it manually by following the instructions in this thread. FYI, I'm using 4.3.11 and php5 (both CGI). You could also do php4 as module and php5 as cgi in that thread.