The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5 handler shows as None

Discussion in 'Security' started by hostnex, Mar 29, 2011.

1. hostnex

hostnex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are having serious issue with PHP. If we change any settings in PHP under the path Main >> Service Configuration >> PHP Configuration Editor in WHM then PHP handler becomes None. We have upgraded cpanel on stable release as well as rebuild Apache many times. when we rebuilt the Apache php handler becomes available but as soon as we change anything in php configurations lets suppose if we set some functions to be disable in disable_functions under php configurations then again PHP handler becomes unavailable. We have reinstalled OS 3 times and still same issue is coming again and again. We are using Cpanel since 4 years now and running more then 29 cpanel servers but this never happened before. Any suggestion.

2. nobodyk

nobodyk Well-Known Member

Do everything you need to do with cpanel then disable the functions manual via ssh. I had a similar problem to this and was caused when I added any entry to the disable_functions via cpanel.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you change the PHP configuration, are you doing it manually by editing /usr/local/lib/php.ini file or are you doing it using WHM > PHP Configuration Editor? If you using WHM's PHP Configuration Editor, please instead try manually editing the php.ini file in root SSH instead.

Of note, we have two cases opened (46972 and 47683) about the PHP Configuration Editor adding duplicate entries or not putting " " around one of the entries, so this might be the issue happening.

4. hostnex

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    as per cpanel support it was an issue with zend entries.

If you look in the file /usr/local/lib/php.ini, you will find this section:

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
    extension_dir = "/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613"
    zend_extension = "/usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so"
    extension = "suhosin.so"

On the servers affected, you should see another line like this:

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
    extension_dir = "/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613"
    zend_extension = "/usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so"
    zend_extension="/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.3.9/php-5.2.x/ZendOptimizer.so"
    extension = "suhosin.so"

You will also find that there is another entry for zend at the end of the file. Remove the line that occurs above. The entry at the end of the file is the one that is valid.

Please note if you will use PHP editor given in WHM and save some settings then each time this issue will ocure and you have to remove the zend_extension entry from the php.ini.

5. hostnex

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Any ETA when this will be fixed permanently as this issue is coming on our all new servers that means if we will change anything in PHP editor given in WHM then this will happen. Further we are facing this issue on stable build as well as on release build.

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, it is preferred to not use the PHP Configuration Editor in WHM for the time being until the cases (46972 and 47683) have been pushed into the existing production tiers.

You can view the changelog at Change Logs for 11.28 to see when the cases I mentioned have been fixed in production.

7. nobodyk

nobodyk Well-Known Member

I also had this issue and I was also running zend. I was getting php parse errors in apache logs. I knew cpanel was creatin duplicate entries so I just used ssh. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

8. majidnt

majidnt Well-Known Member

In my case active IONCube in easyapache cause this problem,Disable it and rebuild Apache to solve the problem and then install it manually!