The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5 PDO Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pphillips, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pphillips

pphillips Well-Known Member

Is there any reason that cPanel disables PDO support by default in PHP 5 installs?

--disable-pdo

In EasyApache there's an option to enabled it (or rather, not disable it) but it's not checked by default. As a software developer this is a concern because most PHP frameworks use PDO. This provides a challenge with software installs on cPanel servers, which as a result need to be recompiled unnecessarily.

It just seems odd that cPanel would explicitly disable PDO, when it would otherwise be installed by default.

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you want it enabled, enable it. Cpanel by default will not select most of the extraneous modules.

3. pphillips

I don't think you understand what I'm asking.. PDO is enabled by default in PHP, it's part of the core. cPanel explicitly disables it by default. I just want to know why this is the case. PDO is not an extension like mcrypt or gd.

#3 pphillips, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. pphillips

sorry, had to bump - would really like a response on this.

What is the reason for PDO being disabled by default? Curious what the thought process is on this one. Without the --disable-pdo switch it's in, it's part of PHP. Very different than extensions like gd, mcrypt, curl etc that require a switch to enable them. Here cPanel explicitly disables PDO.. why?

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Use of PHP PDO has increased over time; moreover, it was not always at the same level of production quality that it may be at now after maturing through further development. I believe the option was initially disabled because PDO was still labeled as "EXPERIMENTAL" in the official PHP documentation at the time when it was added into EasyApache. To reiterate, as was described by others, PDO is only disabled by default if the administrator chooses to not enable support for it when running EasyApache. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the server administrator to decide if they wish to have a specific option enabled or disabled. If the PHP PDO option is desired it may be enabled as needed; please be aware that PDO drivers can be easily installed via PHP PECL using the Modules Installer in WHM.

If you would like to see PHP PDO enabled by default I would consider submitting a feature request as I believe this will be the best chance to have the change considered; a feature request may be submitted one per unique thread via the following forums area: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

6. pphillips

Thanks for the reply cPanelDon, excellent explanation and I've submitted the feature request.