The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP Accelerator (phpa)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Przemek, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Przemek

Przemek Active Member

Hi,

I've just installed phpa on my cpanel server but am not too sure whether it's safe to run it on cpanel. Does it interfere with cpanel? Should I change something in phpa configuration?

2. Przemek

Przemek Active Member

Apparently there are problems with phpa. After few minutes of running it I noticed this in my error_log:

Code:
    failed to get lock - Identifier removed (pid 10403)
    arn-phpa] release_shm_cache failed to stat the shm - Invalid argument (pid 10403)

Any suggestions?

3. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Hope this page helps:

http://phpa.co.uk/server_hang.php

Saw someone with the same problems as you being referred to this page, they said that shm_user and shm_group need to be set as the same user id that apache is using, which in the case of Cpanel is nobody.

4. Przemek

Przemek Active Member

Adding shm_user and shm_group didn't fix the problem for me. The shared memory is created successfuly but after few minutes the errors (the same as above) appear again. I assume the problem have to do something with the fact that apache runs with different user permissions (every virtual sites is server by user's process not nobody's).

How to make phpa working?

5. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

OK, so you ALSO have PHPSuExec installed?

6. JohnL

JohnL Member

Hi!

Just was going to ask about PHP Accelerator in a new thread when I saw this one .... just to be sure, we talk about ionCube PHP Accelerator, yes? (http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk)

I run this on two Plesk systems and it does a great job!!

Was just going to install it on our WHM/cPanel system and see that the php.ini file already has another "zend_extension" entry that looks like this:
    ----------
    zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
    zend_extension="/usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendOptimizer.so"
    -----------
    Does this mean that another PHP accelerator is already installed?? Or does ionCube PHP Accelerator work together with Zend (this line is not in the php.ini on Plesk systems). Sorry, I am not sure waht exactly Zend does.

Are there any settings to be changed if installng ionCube PHPA ?? (Is the problem described in above postings a generic problem on cPanel systems?)

John

7. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

php accelerator and zend are not compatible to both be installed at the same time.

8. JohnL

JohnL Member

That was a FAST reply!!

Okay, if so ... what would you suggest on a WHM/cPanel system? As pointed out I am not quite sure what Zend really does, except that it is also some sort on accelerator. On the Plesk system, however, my phpinfo.php infomrs me that ...
    ------
    This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine: Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Zend Technologies with the ionCube PHP Accelerator v1.3.3r2, Copyright (c) 2001-2002, by Nick Lindridge
    -----
    This sounds to me as if the two work together.

9. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member