The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Php as cgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ASTRAPI, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ASTRAPI

ASTRAPI Well-Known Member

Hello

I am trying to tune my server so i can get the best performance for my forum (php files and a few graphics) and my datacenter recomend me to use php as cgi.

I need your opinion if that helps and is any minus in this configuration and what i have to do to use that php as cgi?

Thank you

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If performance is the only requirement and security is of lesser concern (e.g., such as if there is only one account on the entire server, dedicated to hosting just one or just a few sites), then I would consider using Apache DSO as the PHP handler.

If a minimal performance hit is acceptable or if security is a more important requirement (e.g., such as if there are multiple accounts and web sites on the server, like when in a shared hosting environment), then I would consider using SuPHP as the PHP handler; this will run PHP as CGI but via SuPHP for significantly better security than when using PHP as Apache DSO.

I recommend reviewing the following documentation for more in-depth details and comparisons between the available PHP handler options:
    ApachePHPRequestHandling < EasyApache3 < TWiki

3. ASTRAPI

ASTRAPI Well-Known Member

The easiest way to go from suphp to DSO?

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If already using SuPHP I recommend to continue using it for the security benefits, but if needing to switch to a different the PHP handler configuration this can be accomplished via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> PHP and SuExec Configuration
    Documentation: Configure PHP and SuExec