The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP crashing with wierd log message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulis, Oct 19, 2006.

1. paulis

paulis Registered
    PartnerNOC

It seems that at random times just PHP will stop responding, but Apache will continue to function. When this happens I always see something like this in the apache error logs:

ls: /var/cpanel/users/: Permission denied
    ls: /var/cpanel/suspended/: No such file or directory
    [Thu Oct 19 14:12:11 2006] [notice] child pid 20551 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Thu Oct 19 14:12:12 2006] [notice] child pid 20578 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Thu Oct 19 14:12:12 2006] [notice] child pid 20639 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

followed by lots of additional seg faults.

Has anybody seen anything similar to this, or know what may be causing it? A search of both these forums and google didnt show anything particularly similar.

If you need it:
    CentOS - 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-R119
    CentOS 4.3 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. Rafaelfpviana

Rafaelfpviana Well-Known Member

I've seen this alot.

Its usally when there is a lot of memory used of if the script is not managing the memory correctly.

Take a look at the definition of Segmentation Fault:

A segmentation fault (sometimes referred to as segfault for short) is a particular error condition that can occur during the operation of computer software. In short, a segmentation fault occurs when a program attempts to access a memory location that it is not allowed to access, or attempts to access a memory location in a way it is not allowed to (eg, attempts to write a read-only location). ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault

The only way you can find out what is causing this is monitoring the server and if its a shared server try to suspend those heavy users.

3. paulis

paulis Registered
    PartnerNOC

Thank you for your reply, but I was more concerened with the:

ls: /var/cpanel/users/: Permission denied
    ls: /var/cpanel/suspended/: No such file or directory

errors. Segfaults are rather common, but these segfaults appear to always be preceeded by those two lines, which I have never seen before. I also could not find any information regarding these errors in these forums, or via a google search.