The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Php downgrade from 4.4.1 to 4.3.11 broken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew-TGM, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Andrew-TGM

Andrew-TGM Registered

Php downgrade from 4.4.1 to 4.3.11 not working

Hello,

(Anyone have a working method to downgrade php from 4.4.1 to 4.3.11?)

Having recently upgraded PHP from 4.3.11 to 4.4.1 on a server, we have had a significant number of broken php script functions for a supported client application. We confirmed the problem is due to incompatabilities with the PHP version. To resolve the issue, we have determined we need to downgrade this server to PHP 4.3.11 from 4.4.1.

To do this, I have run /scripts/easyapache from root, selecting option 7 (to preselect all current modifications), and then deselected php version 4.4.1 and selected php version 4.3.11.

Then ran the compile process. It runs through all the expected steps during the rebuild and compile process, yet the server does not revert to PHP version 4.3.11, remaining compiled using PHP version 4.4.1

This was tested 3 times with the same result.

(As suggested by another post on a related thread): An additional step was to run easyapache, selecting option 6, and then selecting all variables from scratch. This too ran through the entire rebuild/recompile process, without any change to the server.

I have reviewed the FAQ's and various related forum threads here, and did not see a solution indicated. Does anyone have any suggestions, perhaps from a past similar experience?

Here are my PHP configure options:

Code:
    './configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--prefix=/usr/local' 
    '--with-xml' '--with-mm' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' 
    '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-exif' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' 
    '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' 
    '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-iconv' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' 
    '--with-kerberos' '--with-java=/usr/local/jdk' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' 
    '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mm' 
    '--with-mysqli' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pdflib' 
    '--with-pear' '--with-pgsql=/usr' '--with-pspell' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' 
    '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' 
    '--enable-wddx' '--with-zip' '--with-zlib' 

Server OS: RHE4
    WHM: 10.8.0
    Cpanel: 10.8.1-R30
    Apache: 1.3.34
    MySql: 4.1

Thanks in advance...

#1 Andrew-TGM, Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. webicom

webicom Well-Known Member

You should reinstall your PHP. That can be done throug WHM, Software, Install RPM. In the RPM Package Installer find PhP (reinstall) module and check Force Install (required if reinstalling a package). After that you should update apache through WHM with your choise of modules and php version 4.3.11.
    Let me know if that helped.

Erik

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would seriously recommend that you stay on v4.4.1 of php. There are some very real and serious security bugs in all pre v4.4.1 versions of php and you're better off staying with the pain of broken scripts and having them fixed - and also blame the php developers for not bothering to make their language backwards compatible ;)

4. Andrew-TGM

Andrew-TGM Registered

Any further suggestions on how to accomplish my objective stated in the first post?

Chirpy --- I completely understand that perspective. My challenge is that I have several dozen clients in a particular field that use a legacy application with no real hope of getting upgrades to. This forces me to weigh the importance of A. leaving the PHP upgrade in place to take advantage of the obvious benefits globally, or B. losing this entire customer base.... At this stage, B is not a desirable option.

webicom --- no luck there Got the following errors:

Code:
    Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-ws-4...

Name                                    Version        Rel     
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    php                                     4.3.9          3.9               i386  

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
    httpd-2.0.52-19.ent.i386.rp  Retrieved.
    php-4.3.9-3.9.i386.rpm:      Retrieved.
    php-pear-4.3.9-3.9.i386.rpm  Retrieved.
    apr-util-0.9.4-21.i386.rpm:  Retrieved.
    httpd-suexec-2.0.52-19.ent.  Retrieved.
    Preparing               
    Installing /var/spool/up2date/apr-util-0.9.4-21.i386.rpm...

Installing /var/spool/up2date/httpd-2.0.52-19.ent.i386.rpm...
    There was a fatal RPM install error. The message was:
    There was a rpm unpack error installing the package: httpd-2.0.52-19.ent
    Install Complete
    Note it appears to be trying to patch to apache 2.x?? We run Apache 1.34...

5. webicom

webicom Well-Known Member

Im out of ideas...what about rebuild RPM database before php module install through RPM install? Chripy do you have any idea?

Regards, Erik