The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

php-fcgid+eaccelerator+custom php.ini+apache2-mpm-worker= segfault?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by internetfab, Feb 3, 2009.

1. internetfab

internetfab Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey guys,

Running fcgid here with eaccelerator turned on as default php handler. It's running perfectly so far but we've found a minor bug in the case when a customer wants to manipulate php settings.
    Customer creates (or we do for him) a wrapper file and gets a copy of our php.ini which he places in the same directory. He modifies his .htaccess file to make use of the wrapper file when calling .php files.

All good there - but IF the php.ini has the eaccelerator extension in it, we get a segfault and it spits our 3 core files in the directory where the wrapper file resides. I'm "guessing" from what I've googled that I'm trying to run PHP threaded because of mpm-worker but Eaccelerator doesn't support threading and therefor segfaults.

Only solution to use prefork instead? Loaded it up on a testserver and it seems to do well and no segfaults when running php files with custom php.ini. Also read that XCache is thread safe and could be used instead of eaccelerator ( maybe a choice for easyapache? ).

The custom php.ini probably has nothing to do with it, weird thing is that I can't find the core files when running without custom php.ini, they aren't among the user's files nor where the php5 binary resides.

Discuss ;)
  2. xanubi

xanubi Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2006
    If you're using mod_fcgid on a shared server, totally forget the cache, neither eaccelerator, xcache and APC are good for that, you'll get out of memory very quickly. If the server is a dedicated server for 1 to 5 sites, then, yes, use cache, but APC only, and don't add neither Zend or Ioncube.

My tests on a shared server with mod_fcgid with and without an opcode cache, the velocity is almost the same that if i had the cache. With cache, we get out of memory very quickly.
  3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello xanubi,

Could you please state the RAM on the machine you used for testing purposes so users have an idea on how much memory it had available when the out of memory issues occurred?