Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED PHP file is displaying generic 403 Forbidden

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benjamin D., Oct 19, 2017.

1. Benjamin D.

Benjamin D. Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since I upgraded to v66.0 I'm getting a FORBIDDEN 403 error only on 1 PHP script. It's a Paypal notification PHP script on our server that they call when a transaction is processed)

There is no error_log even if error_reporting(E_ALL);

chown + chgrp is the cPanel user's.

Tried permissions 0755, 0644, same as any other working PHP script in the same directory.

Tried renaming the file, still outputs a generic 403 Forbidden message.

Last modification date on that file: 2013-10-05, that's 4 years ago, has always worked pristinely.

Pulling my hair out. WTF?

2. Benjamin D.

Benjamin D. Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found the solution in another forum. ModSecurity has 2 rules that were interfering with my script, hope this helps somebody coming here in the future:

If your PHP script has ANY passed variable named "session_id" (POST, GET, COOKIE, etc...?) even if it has nothing to do with PHP's sessions at all (e.g.: $_POST['session_id'] = "This is arbitrary content or my own session ID that has nothing to do with PHP sessions.") then ModSecurity will cut the execution and display a generic 403 Forbidden when your script is called.

The 2 rules to disable (or duplicate and modify) in WHM > ModSecurity™ Tools > Rules list (top right) were:

# 943110
    # 943120

(or just search your variable's name in the search bar and check for other rules containing them in their RegEx)

Problem solved :)

3. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad to see you found the issue @Benjamin D. and thanks for sharing the solution!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...