The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP-FPM - Bring back to 58 or Update Docs

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by mdvaldosta, Jul 14, 2016.

1. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There really is no good option for using Opcache and mod_security anymore. Things were great in the 58 build when you could configure user pools, but since that's gone now I've got to manually set it up using the official guide, but the problem is - that's broken. This forum post offers some tips for getting it to work, but nothing is clear and several places are contradicted.

I guess what I'm asking is, when will PHP-FPM be available again to configure from WHM, or when will the documentation from 58 be updated to correctly instruct how to do this manually?

2. MattDees

MattDees cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We should have PHP FPM available in v60. I apologize that the guide on setting up PHP FPM is broken, I will be taking a look at it shortly and seeing what needs to be adjusted in it.

Could you please provide me a little more detail on the manual configuration issues that you are seeing?

3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do I use for the vhost? IP address? localhost? account or domain name? Also, I found another user complaining of an issue as well, that was never addressed. This is frustrating because most folks use cPanel because the don't want to have to manually configure everything. PHP-FPM is the ONLY way I know of to use opcache/mod_security without problems. Sure, I can install DSO but then I can only use it for 1 version of php and I've gotta switch to prefork. That's a terrible compromise.

Could you please provide an update on when the docs are going to be updated with clear instructions on how to do this? Or when v60 will drop with the feature added back in? I'll switch back to experimental if I have to to get this. The only reason I even upgraded to 58 was for EA4 and PHP-FPM.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Generally, a new version of cPanel is published to the "Edge" build tier sometime after the previous version has reached the "Release" tier. However, there's currently no specific time frame I can provide on when this will happen.

The Configure PHP-FPM with User Pools for EasyApache 4 - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation document was updated on July 21st, 2016. Could you let us know the specific step you would like additional clarification on?

Thank you.

5. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Documentation is still using ProxyPassMatch (which breaks automatic directory indexing when used, and some wordpress Multisite issues I was seeing):

Code:
    <IfModule proxy_fcgi_module>
    ProxyPassMatch "^/(.*\.php(/.*)?)$" "unix:/home/<user>/run/php56-fpm.sock|fcgi://localhost/home/<user>/public_html/
    DirectoryIndex index.php
    </IfModule>

...when I found the following more recent config to be more compatible / flexible as noted here: blog.remirepo.net/post/2014/03/28/PHP-FPM-and-HTTPD-2.4-improvement

Code:
    <IfModule proxy_fcgi_module>
    <FilesMatch \.php$>
       SetHandler "proxy:unix:/home/<user>/run/php56-fpm.sock|fcgi://localhost"
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

Maybe list the ProxyPassMatch version for Pre-Apache 2.4.10 and the SetHandler version for Apache 2.4.10 and later.

I detailed my findings in this thread: https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/php-fpm-directory-index-index-html-file-not-found-problem.529701/

#5 kdean, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Richard Edwards

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have to agree with this, I used to use fcgi in EasyApache3 for opcache, and now I wanted to use the AutoSSL and move to EA4 I am stuck with suPHP and no opcache. Opcache is basically unusable for anyone using EA4's other main features over EA3. Why was EA4 released without proper support for opcache along with other new features - you announced it as a complete and working build a few weeks ago, but it is not is it.

I'd like to get opcache working again without reverting to EA3, how do you suppose we do this without manually configuring which I never had to do before (besides php.ini settings). I have followed your guide, but like the OP states, there is no details on what is meant to replace those variable names

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The document on configuring PHP-FPM with User Pools for EasyApache 4 is under evaluation and not planned for change until enhanced support is added in cPanel version 60. Please ensure all feedback/comments on this feature are added to the comments section at:

Enhance FPM support

This is the best way to provide feedback to development and our Community Manager.

Thank you.

8. Richard Edwards

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, my server crashed and php-fpm wouldnt restart so had to remove virtualhost edits from your guide to setting it up in order to get some sites back working - cpanel does not support php-fpm no matter what you say, it is so unstable with it set up even when following your guides. Now it seems to work ok.