The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP open_basedir question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmoe2008, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jmoe2008

jmoe2008 Member

I'm currently looking at enabling PHP open_basedir protection on some domains on my server. However some domains need to be able to open files outside their base directory. I'm unsure on whether I would need to enable an exception for each domain/subdomain that needs to open files, or just for the domain that they would be opening. Also, does open_basedir have any effect if you are opening through a url (assuming url_fopen is enabled)?

So, to clarify if I have domain1, domain2, and domain3 and domain1 needs to open files from domain3 would I check the box to allow an exception for domain1 or for domain3?

2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Why would they need to is the question?

3. jmoe2008

jmoe2008 Member

It's for a network that runs on several domains. The design of some scripts means that sites are including files from the main domain from one of the hosting domains.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

IIRC, you need to enable the exception for domain1 because it is that domains VirtualHost container that needs the exception to allow scripts running on it to access outside of the open_basedir protected directory.

I would not have thought that it would affect URL's at all. php.net would probably have definitive information on that.