Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

php recommend disable_functions

Discussion in 'Security' started by Venomous21, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Venomous21

Venomous21 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Got a question about hardening php and figure I will ask it here since so many of us use it on our servers.

PHP.INI settings: Disable exec, shell_exec, system, popen and Other Functions To Improve Security

That article recommends setting these directives in php.ini:

disable_functions =exec,passthru,shell_exec,system,proc_open,popen,curl_exec,curl_multi_exec,parse_ini_file,show_source

Is it likely that disabling these functions will have any affect on standard drupal or wordpress installs? Do you recommend disabling any others? Or any other general hardening tips?

I use modsuphp, disabled shell access, latest version of php 5.3 & 5.4 (migrating all to 5.4), keep apache up-to-date, etc.

Thank you.

2. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have used this for disable_functions for a long time and never had any problems with wordpress or other common CMS software:

disable_functions = show_source,system,shell_exec,passthru,exec,phpinfo,popen,proc_open,allow_url_fopen

The other ones you listed are probably OK to disable too.

Other than that make sure you have some form of cross-account symlink protection, even if it's just the patch in EA.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The "Security Advisor" option in WHM is a good place to start for tips on how to improve security on your server.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Venomous21

Venomous21 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    quizknows, thank you. Is the allow_url_fopen needed in disable_functions if I have it set globally to Off already in php.ini? I am also already using the EA symlink patch and security advisor :) Thanks for the info!

5. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's probably not needed, but it also won't hurt anything.

6. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have disabled allow_url_fopen in php.ini then there is no need to add it in list of disable functions list.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...