Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Php scripts does not send e-mail (This is *URGENT*)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by zex, Dec 29, 2001.

1. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have one urgent problem and I willbe gratefull to all people who helps me with this one:
    Problem is next: Php scripts does not send e-mail, they dont report any error so i suspect that the problem is somwhere in connection of exim and php scripts becouse i found in exim_mainlog this error (2001-12-29 12:03:19 16KHGp-0006Xy-00 <= www-data@ns.promo-grupa.com U=www-data P=local S=438) and after that (2001-12-29 16:55:06 SMTP command timeout on connection from localhost [127.0.0.1])

does somebody have some idea how to debug this problem and find what excatly caused this error to ocure.
    Tnx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Litle update to this..
    after few hours of tracing and playing and changing php.ini i find out that if I run sample script from shell, everything works fine mail is sended, but if i run that script trough apache by calling it from web no mail.... :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xnull

xnull Well-Known Member

We had this problem for 2 weeks, where sendmail and smtp would not send mail from anything on the server, including perl/php scripts.

I\'m not sure what fixed the problem, but Burst finally did something to resolve it. Then suddenly tons of I guess backlogged emails sent out to people and we received a lot of old ones too (probably not all of them though).

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Howz the permissions on the sendmail binary? (/usr/sbin/sendmail).....

SUID included any longer? You\'ll need that for the functionality you are talking about, it might have fallen apart briefly.

5. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 13967 Dec 22 17:15 /usr/sbin/sendmail*

sendmail binary is suid, in /usr/local/lib/php.ini is defined sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
    So i\'m out of ideas what may be wrong with this.

6. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Solution:
    Somehow i have file /usr/sbin/sendmail wich is NOT symlink on /usr/sbin/exim. Is some other binary wich call\'s /usr/sbin/exim.
    I remove it and create symlink to /usr/sbin/exim and everything works fine now.