The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP Segfault

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcrouch, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dcrouch

dcrouch Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I attempted to upgrade PHP via CPanel from 5.2.9 to 5.3.10.

Due to the exploit found here. Hash collision DoS vulnerability fixed in PHP 5.3.9 - security, Exploits / vulnerabilities - CIO

I was wondering with Redhat/Centos system a yum update would grab the next release that was not vulnerable, as the patch was sent out about February 3/4. Is there any type of option such as that for CPanel, or do I need to go to version 5.3.10? Additionally, after I attempted to upgrade, PHP segfaulted. The system that I was working on is a 24 hour use system for radio stations, so there's no good time to really allot for downtime, there are better hours than some, but... I would like to know if there is anything that may provide assistance.

I upgraded CPanel, then upgraded PHP as recommended. However, after the issue, I was unable to choose a PHP handler, and every PHP file I tried to visit was downloading on my machine.

I received the following.

------
    php -v

Warning: Module 'ionCube Loader' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    The ionCube PHP Loader is disabled because of startup problems.
    Segmentation fault
    ------

To fix this I forced updated CPanel. I however, did this after downgrading back to PHP 5.2.9.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Never try to update or patch Apache httpd or PHP on a cPanel server using RPM. cPanel's EasyApache builds everything related to httpd and PHP from source, and RPM packages will only cause conflicts.

PHP 5.3.10 is available in EasyApache 3.8.6 and PHP 5.3.9 has been removed. EasyApache will automatically update to the latest version when you run it. For more information, see the EasyApache changelog:

EasyApache < AllDocumentation/ChangeLog < TWiki

EasyApache will normally cause only a minimal amount of downtime - most of the time, a few seconds to a minute or two. Apache and PHP are not down while EasyApache builds. What EasyApache does is it first backs up the existing Apache and PHP, starts the build, and only when the build is completed does it move the new Apache and PHP into place and restart Apache. The only downtime should be during that move and the restart. If Apache does not restart successfully, EasyApache moves the backed-up original copies of Apache and PHP back into place and restarts Apache. Since it puts the known-working builds back into place, there is very little risk of any significant down time.

We are always available 24/7/365 via our ticket system, and you can submit a ticket free of charge:

https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/

3. dcrouch

dcrouch Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I'm sorry I wasn't clear before.

The upgrades were done via Easy Apache.

PHP was however defunct in this case.

4. dcrouch

dcrouch Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I was comparing with the yum upgrade a non CPanel system. Where I would do a yum update php53. And with the CPanel system I would have the choice to go to 5.3.10. But if I'm trying to upgrade a system that is vulnerable with 5.2.17 or 5.2.9, I was wondering if I had options outside of just 5.3.10 to upgrade as it may break a few of their scripts. Was curious about if there were 5.2.x builds that were available with CPanel as a fix. With a non CPanel server, I was able to get 5.3.3-7 or something similar that was released by Redhat as a fix.