The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP Upgrade Results in Loss of Database

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Worsin, May 22, 2008.

1. Worsin

Worsin Member

I am writing this because my current Host and Administrator that i am having upgrade my PHP from 4 to 5 is having issues.

I requested the upgrade and when completed all of my Databased websites, mostly Joomla!, stopped working with a database connection error.

I talk to them about it and they are quick to dismiss it as a Joomla! issue claiming that they used the PHP upgrade tool in WHM and thats all they need to do.

I feel there has to be more to this.

Can anyone tell me why not only Joomla! but also WHMCS would both stop working as a result of a simple PHP upgrade from 4 to 5?

BTW this host originally quoted me 6 hours labor for this upgrade yet they tell me all they did was used the tool inside WHM so it couldn't possibly be them.

This sound unusual to you?

Also, my server is compiled to run in suexec mode and was recently compiled with 4 and 5 so it can be switched back and forth. If he sets it to 5 i lose my databases the moment he sets it back to 4 everything is smooth again.

Let me know if i need to post any more info pls!

Thanks in advance

#1 Worsin, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

A database connection error doesn't mean that your database is gone. You can verify its existence by logging in to mysql as the user or root and typing: show databases

Without a specific connection error, it's hard to troubleshoot what's going on. However, a lot of PHP scripts/apps are written for a particular version of PHP and will not work without some modification when changing PHP versions.

Since PHP and MySQL are totally independent systems (except for the mysql connector for PHP), upgrading PHP would never touch your database files. I wouldn't worry about the information being lost. It's likely an error due to the coding.

3. Worsin

Worsin Member

I am not worried about info loss, i need to know where to start to begin understanding why its happening

4. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Try /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log when accessing the URL that should be connecting to the database. You can also try accessing the file directly with PHP by running #php filename.php. For a more verbose mode, try #php -l

5. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member

This could sound odd, but could he have left our the mysql libraries in php5 ? ( sounds crazy, I know ).

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you post the exact error message, properly sanitized?

7. zigzam

zigzam Well-Known Member

I think you need a new administrator. It sounds like they messed everything up. Joomla and WHMCS work great with PHP 5.

8. Worsin

Worsin Member

Ive decided to switch hosts so i cant post it, thank you though.

9. Worsin

Worsin Member

This makes me wonder. When i talked to him he used the defense that all he did was use the PHP upgrade tool inside WHM. Is there more to it? Do you have to manually update the mySQL libraries? I'm not sure that he did that as he never mentioned it to me.

Odd, i hired him to do these things and i am the one trying to find the answers.

10. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member

well, from what I know, the mysql libraries aren`t automatically added. I could be wrong, but I know mysql libraries aren`t integrated with php automatically ( standalone php ), that`s why you add --enable-mysql.

#10 bin_asc, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008