The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP upgrading and downgrading

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Jonathan More, May 13, 2013.

1. Jonathan More

Jonathan More Active Member

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my PHP version, currently at 5.2.17.

I have few sites that are running quite old versions of cms and webshop systems, I believe these can be affected by this upgrade?

If these sites stop working, would it be possible to downgrade back to 5.2.17 and would that enable the sites again?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it's possible that some of your PHP applications may not be compatible with newer releases of PHP. Typically, it's better to see if upgrades for these applications are available as opposed to downgrading your PHP version. However, if necessary, you can utilize EasyApache to select a older version of PHP. Keep in mind that not all versions are available in EasyApache. As of today, the following versions are selectable under "PHP Version" in "WHM Home » Software » EasyApache (Apache Update)":

Code:
    5.2.9 	 END OF LIFE
    5.2.17 	 DEPRECATED
    5.3.24 	 END OF LIFE
    Thank you.

3. Jonathan More

Jonathan More Active Member

Hi again.

I read a topic of choosing different version of PHP with htaccess file. I think that would be ideal way of testing per client account, if the site would work with newer PHP version or not.

But I encountered a problem, pages only downloaded after transferred the htaccess file. I used this code in it:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php53 .html .htm .php

I contacted technical support and they said that "multiple versions of PHP 5 cannot be concurrently installed. It was possible with certain versions of PHP 4 and PHP 5, but this is no longer possible."

Is that so? I also read some post of being able to choose PHP version straight from clients cpanel area, but I dont seem to have that. Is that feature no longer continued?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator