The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP Versions Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazee, Jul 29, 2016.

1. jazee

jazee Member

Jan 12, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was having an issue setting up replication using phpMyAdmin and I believed it may have had to do with unresolved issues in version 4.0.x. When I attempted to upgrade it myself (server wide) not just on a per account basis the upgrade doesn't work. Appears you just can't replace phpMyAdmin in the 3rdparty folder. (That's for another thread)

But here's the issue, it said my PHP was out of date and reported it as 5.4.x (using phpversion() call) I made sure PHP was up to date by running EasyApache 3. I output phpversion and phpinfo() from one of the web sites and it correctly reported version 5.6.x however phpMyAdmin (in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin) still reports version 5.4!

You can upload a file into the 3rdparty folder or subfolder thereof such as test.php with

and then change the phpmyAdmin URL to test.php (such as to http://www.{root server domain}.com:2087/cpsess{token}/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/test.php)

and it shows I'm running version 5.4.31.

It seems, maybe to insure compatibility, WHM runs under an older PHP version no matter which version you choose to build in EasyApache 3?

But isn't 5.4.31 past end of life and therefore is getting no security updates? This would indicate to me CPanel is technically vulnerable.

What the heck?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator