Php XML File Processing - from Cron

kiteboy

Registered
Mar 2, 2017
Swansea
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi all - Im not sure if Im on the right forum here

Im not a developer so please forgive. Ill try and explain this as best I can. We have a website which basically processes XML files. The main process that runs this as far as I can see is a file named update.php

It works but when there is a bunch of files to process this start to slow down big time

We have script running from cron which is basically (update2.php is basically a copy of update.php)

update.php
update2.php
update.php
update2.php
update.php
update2.php
update.php
update2.php
update.php
update2.php
exit

This script is running every minute
Now what is happening if the above script doesnt finish within that minute- another one starts up and then eventually we get a fork bomb I think they may call it and the number of processeses increase and the website as a whole grinds to a halt until the files have finished processing

In the mean time we get
-bash: fork: retry: No child processes in the terminal on cpanel

We have another copy of the website running on a back up and that seems to keep up with the files better but still has slow downs too

Just looking for any advice really - Im not going into the code at all - but is there a cleaner way of running from cron maybe

Ive tried various things - be nice if we could have a script that completely finishes and only then start the next cron if that makes sense

Sorry for noob question - im in at the deep end here!
Thanks for any advice

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This doesn't sound like an issue with the cPanel side of things, but I'd recommend adjusting the cron to one every five minutes. That would ensure it has more time to run if it doesn't always finish in one minute, and would help prevent the fork bomb protection issues from triggering.