The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phpBB cpaddons upgrade mysql problem

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by sparek-3, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been testing the updated version of phpBB available through the cpaddons interface. It does not look like the version numbering is being updated in the MySQL database for the phpBB installation.

Granted, I am testing an upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21. Which I would not think this would cause any problems, but perhaps this is something to do with skipping a version. Perhaps this issue is not present when upgrading from 2.0.20 to 2.0.21.

When you install phpBB through the control panel, a MySQL database is created, usually username_phpbb1. In that database is a table, usually named phpbb_config. If you connect to this database and run the query:

select version from phpbb_config;

It will return .0.19. If you perform the phpBB upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21 through cpaddons and rerun the query, it still reports .0.19. The official phpBB patch will change this to .0.21. I am not sure if there are any other changes that need to be made in the backend MySQL database regarding the upgrade. I don't really think this will affect any of the exploits through phpBB, since those exploits are vulnerabilities in the PHP files for phpBB. However, by not updating the backend MySQL database to include the correct version number, then the checkphpbbver script (http://www.cplicensing.net/files/scripts/chkphpbbver) will continue to report phpBB installations as outdated even after they have been upgraded. I realize that checkphpbbver is a 3rd party script and not really supported by CPanel, but I thought a lot of people used that script to stay aware of the phpBB installations that are installed on their servers.

I'm really just interested if anyone else has experienced this issue. Like I said I am doing an upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.0.21. Perhaps this is just an isolated issue with the upgrade from these two versions.