The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phpBB problems [moved]

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by shamrocks, Jul 26, 2006.

1. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Do anyone know how I can contact someone to try and help me with my issue? Here is the story.

Our website forums (phpbb) have been hacked on several occasions, so I decided to download the most recent phpbb (forums) and install that. However thats where the problem lies. I placed the new forums under 'Public_html/STHS/forums' whereas the old forums sit in 'Public_html/forums'. I enter the same data in the new installation as in the old one, minus the table prefix, which has been changed from 'phpbb_' to 'sths_', but I get the following errors:

I am trying to get help on phpbb message board and it seems that they point towards Cpanel for the problem. Can anyone help?

#1 shamrocks, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

have you assigned privelidges over the database to the user you are logging in with?

Normally when you get errors like the above its because the user doesnt have insert or update privelidges, if the user is assigned correctly, check the permissions on the tables themselves

3. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Thanks for your response Nickp666.
    The user has ALL Privileges, so that is not the problem. Any other ideas?

4. nickp666

have you confirmed this by looking in the mysql user tables rather than just the cpanel mysql applet?

Other things that could cause it are used quota, permissions on the database files themselves - /var/lib/mysql

5. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Some of the suggestions I am finding through google are:
    - Try creating a new database, instead of using an existing one
    - Make sure that, if the table prefixes are different, you are doing a new install and not a database update
    - Try a clean install, and then import the data from the older board (phpBB offers import scripts on their site)
    - Make sure that the install script is creating the tables. If it doesn't create the tables, it can't populate them. Try importing the .sql file from your phpMyAdmin (when logged in as the user) and see if it creates the tables and populates them when done directly. This will help you find the exact location of the problem (permissions, or whatever).
    - Use Fantastico or the cPanel script installer to put phpBB on your site (I don't suggest this, as both are currently outdated unless you make your own packages)
    And finally, which is the best suggestion of them all...
    - Dump phpBB and use a forum with less exploits available like SMF or vBulletin. They both support migrating phpBB data into them, and are more secure than phpBB is.

There are loads of topics about this at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/index.php... surely you have checked there though, right?

6. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Theres a different?
    I look at the privileges in cpanel/MySQL database. Where would I find the mysql user tables?

7. nickp666

yeah, you can get to the mysql user tables via phpmyadmin at root level, however it would seem as if you have been trying to run a phpbb upgrade rather than new install which would cause the errors you are getting, try some of NightStorms checks if this is not the case

8. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Answers are in RED.

9. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

As far as I know it is a new install, cause it says START INSTALL at the bottom of where I fill in the database information.
    I'm assuming that I go to Cpanel and in mysql database at the bottom I can get to phpmyadmin?

10. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Do I go into Databases to get to the user tables?

11. shamrocks

shamrocks Member

Thanks for all your help, but I FINALLY found me problem. I didn't have some files uploaded to my server.
    STUPID mistake I know.
    Thanks again for you responses.