The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phpBB question [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secant, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Secant

Secant Registered

phpBB question

I've searched, but this apparently hasn't been covered yet.
    I have installed phpBB through the cPanel installer, and everything works fine. However, the bulletin board won't let me do anything until I delete the install/ and contrib/ directories (I assume- it could be the board software messing up). How do I delete these two directories? I can't access them from the file manager, so what do I need to do? Thanks for any help.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

These are questions you should be asking your web hosting provider. You should be using an FTP client to access your accounts files and should be able to remove those files/directories through that.

3. Secant

Secant Registered

That was exactly what I needed to do. Thank you for your time.

4. simonpearce

simonpearce Well-Known Member

Hi,

We're also experiencing this problem (we being an ISP)!

This is a real nuisance - we're advertising simple, one-click installation and then we're telling people they have to FTP in and manually delete folders!

Surely the installer script can do this.

Simon

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem before installing a copy of phpBB through cPanel and have certainly never had to delete and directories to get it to work.

I suppose, then, it is possible that the cPanel phpBB installer is not doing something correctly - I haven't tried a phpBB installation for a while, although will give it a shot soon to test.

In the meantime, I suggest submitting a bug report and http://bugzilla.cpanel.net if you're sure that this is a cPanel fault.

6. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I can confirm this appears to be a cPanel issue. As I said above, I've never had any problem installing phpBB through cPanel.

I've just performed a test installation and then immediately visited the installation URL to login as the admin and am presented with the following:
    This certainly won't look good for cPanel users and, hopefully, could be sorted out by modifying the cPanel phpBB installer.

By the way, this is WHM 10.6.0 cPanel 10.6.0-C157 on CentOS 3.5.

Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue in EDGE?

#6 webignition, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  7. simonpearce

anyone? surely this is a serious issue!?

8. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

This is VERY FAR from a serious issue. I would rather the CPanel staff work on important things instead of a sub-par bulletin board install. Taking two seconds to delete the two folders is not a hard thing. These two folders are put in via uncompressing the phpBB tar.gz file, if it is that big of a deal to you then add two lines to the end of the Cpanel phpBB installer script that rm -rf the directories in the users install location. Really and truly with as many exploits that have been discovered by phpBB this year alone you shouldn't offer auto-installs of the script, force them to put a newer version with patches in it.

9. simonpearce

I disagree - we offer this a service to our customers and it doesn't work :(

We're getting between 3 and 4 support calls a day asking us to fix their installations - many of our users not wanting to use FTP (or even able to!).

Simon

10. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Disagree all you want, but those are value add freebies by Cpanel and not crucial to function. You should purchase Fantastico if you want a better updated and better supported script manager or you should be installing phpBB for each of your clients as needed. Cpanel even says these aren't supported scripts, they are just offered as freebies.

11. simonpearce

Well why bother offering them if they don't work!?

It's meant to be one-click installing but it's one-click, then FTP in and delete a couple of folders.

I think cpanel would be better removing it altogether.

Simon

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you checked bugzilla and logged an entry if it's not there to let them know? Have you logged a ticket with cPanel through your cPanel license provider? If not, and you want it fixed, you should do so.

13. HH-Steven

HH-Steven Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If thats truly how you feel then why not remove it yourself? whats stopping you?

WebHost Manager -> Addon Scripts

14. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I think it would not be too tough for Cpanel to Fix this.. but then it has been clearly said that these script are not supported scripts..

It depends on you to offer or not... you should install the script for your client if they don't have time to FTP their site and delete those folders..

Wouldn't that make things more simple... ;)

15. sigep739

sigep739 Well-Known Member

I dont get the big deal. It takes about 30 seconds to delete the files. I agree that CPANEL should be working on more important issues- like holes and bugs.

If your clients are not smart enough to delete it themselves, you could always do this for them.