Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED phpMyAdmin now breaks subdomain sessions since 64.0 (build 19)

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Marc Tremblay, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marc Tremblay

Marc Tremblay Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi. Updated to 64.0 (build 19) yesterday and now whenever I log into phpMyAdmin (from the link inside the cPanel as usual) any subdomain session gets corrupted, that is let's say I log in AAA.COM cPanel and click phpMyAdmin, then a BBB.AAA.COM session I had going will get corrupted. Pretty annoying.

It's like the new phpMyAdmin version overwrites all the subdomain sessions instead of just its own subdomain.

2. Marc Tremblay

Marc Tremblay Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    By further poking around, I'm finding out that by simply logging in to cPanel alone corrupts sessions established on other subdomains of that domain BUT it is still possible to start new sessions on subdomains and continue to work normally afterwards. Tough, once logged into phpMyAdmin, this is not possible and any new session created on subdomains instantly get invalidated for some reason. The only way is to close all browser windows and start fresh. Really weird!

EDIT: It is confirmed that using browser 1 to loging in cPanel/phpMyAdmin and browser 2 for the subdomain session works fine, but running both in the same browser breaks the session on the subdomain.

#2 Marc Tremblay, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Marc,

It looks like you encountered behavior that's by-design. You can only have one session at a time per service in a single browser since it's handled via a cookie.

Thank you.

4. Marc Tremblay

Marc Tremblay Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What? I guess my question was unclear. I am not opening phpMyAdmin twice. I'm only having tab #1 open on WWW.AAA.COM website and tab #2 open on phpMyAdmin (or cPanel) on PHPMYADMIN.AAA.COM. Tab #1 session gets corrupted as soon as I have tab #2 loaded. This was not happening on 62.0 or as a matter of fact, even on older versions as far as I can remember, like 56.0; it's been fine for years before I upgrade. I know they're on the same root domain, but they're NOT on the same subdomain. It's always been like this, nothing changed for +5 years about this.

EDIT: What's even more conclusive is I have a WAMP setup on my localhost (Windows 7 64-bits Apache/2.4.23 PHP/5.6.25 phpmyadmin 4.6.4) with the same tabs open: one in phpMyAdmin (http://localhost/phpmyadmin/) and the other on the same website (http://localhost/aaa/) and it's not happening and they're on the same domain: localhost! It's only happening on the cPanel machine... try to explain that and no, it's not normal behavior that it corrupts all the subdomains sessions whenever you log in to cPanel or phpMyAdmin on another subdomain... and now it's confirmed that it should also work on the exact SAME domain.

#4 Marc Tremblay, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Marc,

Would you mind opening a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the affected system? You can post the ticket number here and we will update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

6. Marc Tremblay

Marc Tremblay Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes and I even prepared an extremely simple test case for you to see. Sending the ticket now.

7. Benjamin D.

Benjamin D. Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Try to reset your cookies history.

8. BennyBoy

BennyBoy Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That did it. Not sure why. There must have been some sort of glitch happening around the same time I upgraded to 64.0 because now that I completely reset the browser's cookies history, everything works fine! Pretty weird. Case closed!

Infopro likes this.