Phpsuexec is no longer supported by cpanel?

EEssam

Feb 20, 2008
Hello guys,

My server management company told me the following:

Phpsuexec does not work properly. It was not working before, and that is why you were getting the php error that you originally reported. Phpsuexec is no longer supported by cpanel and suphp is it's replacement.
Please confirm, is it true that Phpsuexec is no longer supported by cpanel and suphp is it's replacement and Phpsuexec doesn't work properly anymore?

Thanks.

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
Hello guys,

My server management company told me the following:

Please confirm, is it true that Phpsuexec is no longer supported by cpanel and suphp is it's replacement and Phpsuexec doesn't work properly anymore?

Thanks.
what version of apache are you running?

EEssam

Feb 20, 2008
I'm using Apache 1.3. Please tell me how this is relevant to the issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gtgeorge

Feb 28, 2007
Because phpSUEXEC is still supported in Cpanel that is not on Apache 2.x?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Running PHP via SuExec is supported in all versions of Apache.

In versions of EasyApache prior to EasyApache 3, we used to patch suExec to work more seemlessly with PHP. This patching was often referred to as 'phpsuexec' and is no longer supported. It was problematic, was prone to error and was only compatible with Apache 1.3.

The same security benefits can be had by either:

1. Using mod_suphp; or
2. Using regular suExec

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
will there be a performance hit using mod_suphp ?

I would think so as it would call php via cgi

then again - does this not happen across pretty much all *suexec solutions/?
If you want the raw speed of mod_php and the security of mod_suphp/suexec, then do some reading on FastCGI.

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
suphp is a performance hit if the server is under heavy PHP load; but in most cases the extra load isn't really noticeable.

You'll be under pretty serious load if accounts get hacked or a spammer starts up and you can't track them down; suphp helps with that sort of load :P

pina

Registered
May 17, 2008
suphp is a performance hit if the server is under heavy PHP load; but in most cases the extra load isn't really noticeable.

You'll be under pretty serious load if accounts get hacked or a spammer starts up and you can't track them down; suphp helps with that sort of load :P
I think the best advantage of suphp is most security.
Because you can find abusers also without suphp
The big negative points is that it could overload the server easly and it does not accept php accelerators at all.