The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ping nameserver returns wrong IP ?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by oldlock, Aug 5, 2010.

1. oldlock

oldlock Well-Known Member

Just seeking some clarification.

One of the nameservers on a cpanel box is returning an incorrect IP when pinged, or when an attempt in made to use it. But the correct IP is set in the server, and at a whois lookup.

So, (and I'll use an example, not the actual IP)

The ns2.something.com is set on cpanel to 123.123.123.123 If checked at the domain registrar is it set to 123.123 etc. However if pinged, or checked with intodns etc the record returns 124.123.123.123

Now as I understand a DNS lookup, the name is first checked with the registrar, which then returns the IP of record ? Or am I wrong, could it somehow be the setup of the server ? Is there anyother way to check ?

Thanks

Paul

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

You need to check the DNS A record for ns2 in the DNS zone file of something.com. When you ping ns2.something.com, DNS zone file of something.com is queried and that IP responds that is set in DNS zone file.

3. oldlock

oldlock Well-Known Member

Thanks - that was it, Quite how that record came to be incorrect is a mystery however.

Thanks again for the info.