The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pingdom inaccurate results needs whitelisting - firewall rule update error

Discussion in 'Security' started by actived, Jun 17, 2012.

1. actived

actived Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    we use pingdom's free version to monitor whether our site is up/down.
    It sometimes gives a series of 'server down' email alerts when the website can actually be reached quite normally.
    It would be easy to write it off as a buggy service that gives wrong or inaccurate results, except for the fact that a lot of pingdom users seem to be very happy and sure that pingdom alerts are fairly accurate.

It seems that it is mostly a firewall issue - where if you have blocked an IP range due to some malicious activity from that region, and pingdom happens to have a server in that IP range, it reports a down alert as the ping is blocked.

These are the relevant links I found:
    Simple tool to list Pingdom Probe IPs
    Automatically update iptables rules for Pingdom monitors. | Personal blog of Chris Ergatides
    Automatically update Pingdom firewall rules | MG IT Solutions

However when I tried out the last one - a script named, it gave a series of errors:
    We are using csf+lfd as well and every blacklist entry in cphulkd is also entered into csf+lfd blacklist manually.

The alternative, as far as I understand would be to manually whitelist the IPs from the pingdom IP feed here:

Any pointers on how to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Pingdom inaccurate results needs whitelisting - firewall rule update er

There's an option for CSF to enable dynamic IPs based on a hostname. You might consider using that instead. It's DYNDNS in the CSF configuration file.