fniederm

May 8, 2003
This is going off topic but:

RELEASE Release builds are the prefered builds to run. They are generally current enough to have the latest bugfixes and new features, but without the worry of new bugs being introduced.
STABLE Stable builds are for the consverative people who do not wish to run the latest release.

heavypredator

May 2, 2003
ea3 is getting better

i managed to compile apache 2.2.4 with php4 and php5 with suphp

first it was forcing php to download but
/scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
/scripts/initsuexec
/scripts/installzendopt
fixed everything.

only problem i have is - where is php4? looks like php5 is overwriting php4?

why there is no mysql pdo in php5?

option to separate php compile would be good - lets say i only want to compile php4 - it will compile it and save as /usr/local/bin/php4/php-cgi
but php4 as folder changeable by user - that would allow us to build many different php builds and we could set each vhost to use the build we like?

another problem is - lets say i want to have php4 and php5 in vhost (suphp) - there should be option when account is created to change default format to add commands or change cpanel ones.

at this moment it looks like there is only one php option - it would be good to be able to create multi php system. i know we can do it by hand but i dont think it would make cpanel big problem to do that and save us time compiling everyting.

im not sure but is /usr/local/bin/php php4?

Last edited:

Secmas

Feb 18, 2005
With an upgrade like this it might be best to go over every setting under every link in your WHM. Then do the same thing at cPanel side as well.
In my server CPanel 11 didn't upgrade the Apache, do I have to do it manually? In this momment I have Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix).

Any advice?

freedman

Feb 13, 2005
option to separate php compile would be good - lets say i only want to compile php4 - it will compile it and save as /usr/local/bin/php4/php-cgi
but php4 as folder changeable by user - that would allow us to build many different php builds and we could set each vhost to use the build we like?
I *think* cpanel would have to drastically change the "virtfs" functionality to actually support linking to different versions of stuff... since the "cli" version would be needed for scritps and command line php....
this would also consume a lot of diskspace having multiple versions of effectively the same thing.

I'm guessing the actual need for multiple different php configurations is incredibly small and I think even having the options would cause people who didn't want or need the functionality to potentially make mistakes and much things up...
then there would have to be additional cleanup when an account is terminated to take away all the extra junk.

what may be best if you absolutely need this type of thing, su to the user's homedirectory, build php with a basepath of /home/USERNAME, then use /home/username/bin/php .. that way when an account is terminated, it's all deleted.. and it gets counted in the users quota.

at this moment it looks like there is only one php option - it would be good to be able to create multi php system. i know we can do it by hand but i dont think it would make cpanel big problem to do that and save us time compiling everyting.
Again, I'd think the need for multiple php's is soooooo small, and the possible support problems would be so large that it makes no sense for them to include this type of option.

Realistically, you should just compile the system php to include all the options you might need, and the people who dont need them, just wont access those functions.. This is certainly better resource wise, than having potentially hundreds of php executables sucking up memory and filehandles and other resources.

Secmas

Feb 18, 2005
You weren't expecting Apache 2.x, were you? If you were, you haven't read any of the release notes anywhere...

http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPanelandWHM/linux/cpanel11/index.html

Separate rollout. :)
Thankyou Ishware,
I will take care of that, I will re read the hall thread again.

To be honest I started to read this thread a long time ago, and I was waiting to see that CPanell 11 on the Release version could have apache 2 already resolved but it seems it is not.

@Freedman, thankyou for your PM.

heavypredator

May 2, 2003
next problem its only listen 80
for ssl it needs also listen 443 in httpd.conf

so simple errors - this shouldnt happen :/