The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plans for implementing Zimbra

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Netmaking, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Netmaking

Netmaking Member

Hi guys,

The Zimbra Collaboration Suite (http://www.zimbra.com/) looks amazing. Any plans to have it implemented into Cpanel (when it steps out of BETA)?

Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You'd need to ask them directly using the information on their contact page. However, I would doubt they'd include something that hasn't got a proven stability record over time. If not, you could try approaching the other 3rd-party addon providers, of which there are quite a few now.

3. kickedmydog

kickedmydog Well-Known Member

Test?

Has anyone tested Zimbra on their RH3 /4 Cpanel box?

Results?

I am just installing right now on a test server. Zimbra would be a nice replacement for those crappy email programs that come with Cpanel and really reach to the business customers better with the Outlook functions / connections.

My question is, "What does Zimbra install modify / do?"

4. domtaj

domtaj Active Member

Good luck kickedmydog, I tried to get Zimbra on install from source but it was too hard work on RHEL3/cPanel.

If you have RHEL4, you could try the RPM available from Zimbra. I am waiting for a RHEL4 developmental server to come by before attempting it again.

5. kickedmydog

kickedmydog Well-Known Member

Hey,

Thanks for the information, I tried but it only installed the first part and the rest stalled. I'll try your advice. When are they estimating the release for the development version?

Dawg

6. calande2

calande2 Well-Known Member

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unless you purchase the commercial version, Zimbra does not use the full functionality of Outlook. The Ajax client might be "better" in some ways than Horde or Squirrelmail, but has issues of its own.

It is not simply a replacement of Horde or Squirrelmail, it replaces the entire email "stack". Similar to running something like MS Exchange of Lotus Notes, someone running Zimbra should have on hand someone experienced in Zimbra administration as it's far more than a SMTP server.

Considering the system requirements of Zimbra I highly doubt cPanel will offer Zimbra, either in main or as an addon.