The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please advise - WHM Host Access Control IP allow / deny

Discussion in 'Security' started by Bryant410, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Bryant410

Bryant410 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Prior to today, I setup Host Access Control to allow my IP and deny ALL for ssh / ftp / whostmgrd / mysql / etc

Until today this worked perfectly for me.. UNTIL, my ISP had major outage, after restoring service I had been issued a diff IP. So, was locked out from everything.. obviously couldn't ssh in and even do anything with /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

So my question is what is the method for me to use now. I'm somewhat familiar with IPtables, but after researching that method.. it just seems to unreliable and I say that because I've read where one thing worked for one but not another.. where the above method worked 100% (except if my IP changes I'm screwed). But it is important that I am the ONLY person to be able to access ssh / ftp / whostmgrd / mysql!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Using a firewall management utility such as CSF or host access rules are still the best methods of managing access to the server in my opinion. If you were issued a different IP address, then your provider should have been able to modify the /etc/hosts.allow file with console access.

Thank you.