The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please can we have Qmail? Begging.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sexy_guy, Apr 30, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Please, i am begging DarkOrb to remedy the problem with cPanel email system. Nobody has heard from DarkOrb on the issue. Im wondering how many people would be relieved to have an alternative email system, at least an option like FTP if not a complete integrated version of something other then Exim. Sendmail, Qmail doesn't matter but something. Im getting desperate and our users are getting desperate to have a more reliable email system installed.

Thanks

2. portman

portman Well-Known Member

Please no qmail....we have enough problems with it on Plesk....I don't want that on cpanel too!

;)

3. sexy_guy

Then what is your suggestion? Anything then Exim is better.

#3 sexy_guy, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  4. portman

We see no issue with Exim... What are you seeing?

In fact Exim has been the best we have seen.

qmail hangs too much

5. sexy_guy

You have got to be kidding; This is what i see.

Mail Delivery System 12:42 pm Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 12:41 pm Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 12:18 pm Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 12:07 pm Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:58 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:56 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:41 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:37 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:34 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:23 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:21 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 10:19 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

and

Mail Delivery System 9:36 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 9:31 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 9:28 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 8:59 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 8:32 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 8:14 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 8:13 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 7:44 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 7:39 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 7:17 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 7:16 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 7:02 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 5:36 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:56 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

and

Mail Delivery System 4:55 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:49 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:49 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:46 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:45 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 4:45 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 3:40 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 3:18 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Mail Delivery System 3:06 am Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

6. Faldran

Faldran Well-Known Member

I think you will need to provide a little more information, than that... You need to find the reason why it is doing that.

7. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

sexy_guy I don't think that's a problem with Exim, generally speaking. If you have a misconfiguration somewhere else (say for example Bind) then it will fail no matter what MTA you use.

8. portman

Yeah, Like the acutal log entries of 2 or 3 that will tell the actual errors.

9. sexy_guy

I know guys but these are msgs that get kicked back as unroutable domain errors from just last night.

1) We have phpsuexec installed
    2) Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.) is enabled

If i uncheck Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.) then these unroutable go away.

But that defeats the purpose of why i installed phpsuexec 3 weeks ago. If i uncheck the tweek option these msgs go away. I may as well not have installed phpsuexec and left the tweek option uncheckd but i dont want nobody sending out mail so thats why phpsuexec was installed.

unrouteable mail domain "dramsystem.com"

root@srv05 [/etc]# dig dramsystem.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> dramsystem.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18347
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;dramsystem.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    dramsystem.com. 1800 IN A 64.157.176.116

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    dramsystem.com. 3600 IN NS dns3.name-services.com.
    dramsystem.com. 3600 IN NS dns4.name-services.com.
    dramsystem.com. 3600 IN NS dns5.name-services.com.
    dramsystem.com. 3600 IN NS dns1.name-services.com.
    dramsystem.com. 3600 IN NS dns2.name-services.com.

;; Query time: 120 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Apr 30 14:20:05 2003
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 157

Resolves, why unroutable?

#9 sexy_guy, Apr 30, 2003
  10. howard

howard Well-Known Member

because when you check the no mail sent if called by nobody exim is being told not to do any mail sending therefore it cannot know where to send the mail, so from its point of view the mail is unroutable

the unroutable mail domain is exim way of telling you it doesn't know where to send this mail because it can't look up where to send the mail or if it did it failed or because its been told not to (like with the nobody option)

the one of the many things which phpsuexec patch enables is the ablity for a non-webserver uid to call the exim binary to send mail, if the nobody user is running that particular script which calls sendmail then it will send mail out as nobody because that is who called it, so therefore you should find out which scripts were owned by nobody and calling the exim binary (i did tell you this several posts back)

#10 howard, Apr 30, 2003
  11. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Does this mean that phpsuexec does not honor the User and Group directives in Apache's VirtualHost sections?

12. sexy_guy

Ok so whats the solution here then. Do my users have to configure their scripts using to use the exim binary instead of sendmail? Is this what your saying? Do i leave the option checked or unchecked? I dont really understand the conclusion to the problem.

#12 sexy_guy, Apr 30, 2003
  13. Hoster2k

Hoster2k Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too. Annette replied in the ongoing phpsuexec thread with a possible cause (-t after /usr/sbin/sendmail).

I've noted php sending out mail as nobody still. More specifically, I noticed phpNuke doing this.

14. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Did you check if you have php scripts running on the server that are owned by nobody?

I think you should just uncheck the option for now, since you still have mail going out as user nobody

15. Hoster2k

Point to note: if you are using phpsuexec then any scripts/files in your directory owned by nobody wont actually run (or didn't when I tried)

16. sexy_guy

For eg my users forums, her messages are coming out from nobody but everthing is chown stallions.stallions :confused:

17. Hoster2k

18. howard

howard Well-Known Member

you could drop log_arguments into /etc/exim.conf then restart it this will show you how a specfic script is calling the binary (e.g. what arguments is passing etc) you could then examine to see weather there is any difference between a nobody one vs a userid one