The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help a newbie...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greenway, Jun 26, 2005.

1. greenway

greenway Registered

ok hard for me but easy for some of you guys:

I have taken over a website that has cpanel.

i want to add my other websites to the server,i have pointed the first domain at the server and parked it with cpanel,and is now directing the domain to the main website,so at least i know i have got the dns re-direct right.

my account allows for a load of add domains and subdomains so no probs there.

now this is the bit i am lost on:
    do i need to add a domain or sub domain ?

i set up a new folder and had a cgibin auto set up with it,but if i put an index file in,i just get a 404 error ???

can anyone tell me how to set up the other websites on the server with cpanel or point me at an idiots tutorial,many thanks.

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    the best u could have done is to make a full cpbackup from the old sever , move it to the new server and ask the server admins of the new server to restore it.. no hurdles... no worries..

3. greenway

greenway Registered

sorry for the confusion,the main site is still on the server.

what i am doing is buying domain names and wanting to add the names to the server and build independant sites with them.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Parking means to have the domain go to the same files as the main one. You don't want to use the parked domains option. You want the addon domains function. When you add an addon domain there will be a new folder in the main domain's folder. That is where you put the pages for the new site.