The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help - Cpanel Problems on Fedora Core 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zach21uk, Jul 24, 2005.

1. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

Hi There Everyone,

I have recently been trying to install CPanel on a Linux Box runing Fedora Core 4 i386.

i start out by of course installing Fedora Core first, after i installed Fedora, it boots up, and everything works fine.

I then proceed to download and install CPanel.

After the installation of cpanel, i can login to it etc etc, and everything appears to be working.

I then reboot the computer, it loads up Fedora etc, then just as it is about to get to the login screen, i get the following message:

At first i thought it was just a random glitch, so i wiped everything, and started over, but the same thing happend again.

i then tried it on a completly different computer, still the same problem.

i then browsed the internet for the problem, and after reading some material, i booted into linux rescue, and manually edited the "xorg.conf" file so it used "vesa" as the video card driver, instead of the ATI driver.

This did not work either.

I am quite baffled by this problem, however i have spoken to numerous friends of mine who have tried to install cpanel on a linux box, and they have had this problem, however they dont know how to fix it.

I really need to get this working, as we (my company) are preparing to purchase a new set of servers within the next 2 months, and we hope to use cpanel as our server side administration tool.

Here is some hardware information about the box i am trying to install cpanel on:

Dual Xeon Processoers @ 2.8ghz each.
    1gb RAM
    160gb SATA HD
    ATI Radeon 9200 integrated graphics.

I am just wondering if this is a problem unique to fedora core 4..........if i installed Fedora Core 3 would i have any problems??

The actual server when we get it in a couple of months, will be running Red Hat Enterprise.......

Anyway, if anyone knows how to fix the problem i am having, or has links to other threads on these forums that contain a solution, i and my company would be very appreciative!!!

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
    Z. Nicodemous
    PC Doctor
    http://pc-doctor.co.uk

2. Piggers

Piggers Member

It sounds like you are trying to install cPanel using xwindows. Not a good idea. I can pretty much guarantee that is why you are coming up with those errors.

And cPanel doesn't support fedora core 4 yet.

#2 Piggers, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  3. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

XWindows? what is this?

4. Piggers

Piggers Member

Graphical system used on Linux and Unix so it gives you the look and feel of Windows. You will need to use text.

You may be able to change this without a reinstall. Just edit the /etc/inittab. You will see something like this:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    # 1 - Single user mode
    # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
    # 3 - Full multiuser mode
    # 4 - unused
    # 5 - X11
    # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:3:initdefault

You will want to change that to 3.

I am not an expert on this but did the same things some years back before I learned linux. I wanted the graphical interface because I did not want to use command line. Well command line is all I know now. LOL!

5. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

so cpanel can only be run on a linux box in command line? the gui cant be used?

or do u mean that cpanel needs to be installed in command line.......

im confused lol

6. Piggers

Piggers Member

What I am saying is that you cannot use the xwindows (graphical) with cpanel to administor cpanel. That must be done by http://yourdomain.com:2086.

Your error I believe is occuring because you installed xwindows when you should have.

7. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

so basically, intalling cpanel restricts me from accessing the graphical interface of linux.........so short of not installing cpanel, there is no way to access the graphical desktop of linux?!?

that strikes me as kind of odd...........

what if for example i wanted to install programs other than cpanel and run them.........programs that relyed on the graphical interface...........then what

8. Piggers

Piggers Member

That is correct. cPanel doesn't require a graphical. It also creates a security risk using xwindows. This is what I have read.

Most of the administration is done using cPanel interface with http://yourdomain.com:2086 so linux xwindows would not be needed.

9. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

hmmmnnn ok i guess i can live with that.............i spose i had better start learning the basics of linux command line lol.

we were also intending to install "Open Webmail" (http://openwebmail.org/) on the server, as this is what we currently use for our clients, we were going to just import all the e-mail accounts and stuff over from the old box to the new one.............would it still be possible for me to install this now that cpanel is in effect the main OS of the server?

10. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

...........so will i be able to use open webmail with cpanel installed?