The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help !!! Desinstall Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by euzimc, Jul 13, 2004.

1. euzimc

euzimc Registered

Hello !!

A Friend tell me about Cpanel and I install it in a production server.
    Now, my email Sendmail Server, My apache VirtualHosts Pages, and all my server is down.

I NEED AN URGENT DESINSTALL !!!

PLEASE HELP !!!

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to start with a re-image of the OS and restore your origonal settings from backup. Otherwise a SEARCH of these forums might be wise: http://forums.cpanel.net/search.php?searchid=4690 and then restore your settings from backup if you managed to successfully remove cpanel ( good luck ).

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Uh Oh.

I don't think you want this answer, but cpanel doesn't come with an uninstall option. The only clean way to uninstall cpanel is to reinstall the OS. Cpanel isn't just an addon for a server. It's a server control system. When installed, it modifies several things and becomes part of the system.

If you have a backup of your system before the install, I suggest reconfiguring your server and restoring the backup. If reconfiguring isn't an option, I believe it is possible with much manual work to remove most of cpanel and get the system back to normal, but it will not be the same as reinstalling the OS. As far as manually removing cpanel, I've never done it and don't know everything that would be required, so I'm not going to say what to do with the chance of causing trouble. Someone else here might be able to give you a step by step uninstall. It will be faster to just reinstall the OS though.

Good luck

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

If your friend told you to jump off a .... oh nevermind.

You installed software you knew nothing about on a "production" server? I hope by "production" you do not mean a server with users that pay to be hosted there.

Chaulk it up to "you'll know better next time" and reformat your box.

5. euzimc

euzimc Registered

Yes I have Hosting Users, email users, etc.

But I think that cpanel use my old configuration of Apache and use my old config of Sendmail ( NOT UNINSTALL IT ) and replace it for another MTA.

I dont really think that this big product not migrate the conf files of my box !! ...

So bad ...

Now, I have to backup my box .... UUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHH !!!
    Im really so sad, its a big headache !!!

I gonna kick my friends ass !!!

thank you guys

6. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    i understand your problem, but this is really really funny.
    that friend needs a BIG kick in the ass.

you need a linux guru to help you revert from exim to sendmail. apache might be easyer, although i kinda doubt it.

what i don't understatd, is how on earth cPnale installed on that server.
    i could't even get cPanel to install on a clean version of Fedora, but with apache/php already installed.

how it worked on a fully operational system, it's beyond me.
    i really think cpanel should put some check in the installer. if anything exists on that box, just die;

about restoring.
    i would suggest installing a new server, then moving the accounts there, then the config files, and checking everithing after each step. it's a pain, but it's the best way of doing it.

7. golgotha

golgotha Registered

Wish there was an uninstaller too!

I sooooo know how you feel euzimc - I did the same thing as you on a server with 20 live websites... It took me four hours to get everything operating again and was a very painful learning experience.

On the bright side though - I love the functionality of cpanel once I had everything working and intend to use it on a new box with a fresh install and move everything from the fragged (but functioning) server over slowly - :D

GolgothA
    www.golgothaossuary.com

8. madcow774

madcow774 Member

Disconnect the power cable and the ribbon cable to the hard drive.

Invoke BIOS setup and change the "Primary Master" hard disk to "None" ;)

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That would be the easiest way to get rid of cpanel. :p

10. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

take the hard drive out and use the biggest magnet you can find and rub it over the drive. After that ..smash it with a hammer and dip it in a bath of acid for 2 days. Remove from acid and install back in server. If cPanel is still not gone then you may need to seriously consider an exorcism. There are a couple of guys on here that can do this exorcism. It won't be fun and it could take a while. I have heard that it could cost thousands of dollars. But at this point it's your only hope because you chose to run backups AFTER you installed cPanel. Let us know after you have been down for a few days if you have any customers left. I would like to buy all of them from you!!! top dollar!!! that's right both of them!!!

#10 rpmws, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  11. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

Its not so hard to uninstall cPanel, if you have backups of your original config.

What control panel if any, did you have running prior?

The majority of the cPanel installation is in /var/cpanel and /usr/local/cpanel

You need to uninstall exim - and reinstall if needed your original MTA regarding mail. Install your old ftp client etc etc. Its really not that diffcult and an OS restore isn't really needed if you are competent or know someone who is.

You do have quite a few other files to clean up - not knowing what you were running before, its hard to say exactly what you need to do, but its very doable without a restore.

12. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I suppose a lot of things are 'doable' that are not worth the effort of doing.

If you have no reference as to the state of your system was prior to the install, it does not matter if you know someone who is competent, it is going to be a losing battle.

BTW, when someone has a backup and they use that to repair/replace files on their system I call that a restore ;)

13. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

An operating system reinstall is very drastic just to uninstall cPanel, there really isn't all that much to remove :) - then again you do need to know what you are doing in order to correct the problem and return the config the way it was. All you need to do is uninstall whats not required and reinstall your original software, that even may not be needed - probably much quicker than an OS reload and restore all clients data, if it is backed up :)

That would be the preferred way for me at least.