The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me on these issues! - Downloads?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by opengate, Aug 9, 2010.

1. opengate

opengate Registered

Please I would be grateful if somebody can help me on these issues, I need clear answers:
    * How do I create a secured download page?
    * In which directory do I upload the files to download?
    * How do I create download links?
    Thanks.
    Opengates:confused:

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

There are about a dozen ways to do each of those things. Since these forums are directed towards use of cpanel rather than creating websites, you'd probably be better served by finding forums that cater to those topics.

Having said that, you can password-protect pages using the widget labeled as such in the cpanel screen.

Downloads can go into any directory you want to create, either inside or outside of the public_html directory, depending on how they're accessed.

Download links: depends on how the uploads are stored... that's basic HTML stuff, or can be much more complicated. Google is a good place to start.

3. opengate

opengate Registered

Thanks Lyttek!

Lyttek, Although I haven't found an answer yet but all the same for taking time to answer me, thanks so much. I'm grateful! Bye for now.
    Opengates:D

4. donnythom

donnythom Member

1.) Let's make a downloads folder and password protect it. We'll assume that we are working on your primary domain.

Go to your file manager and navigate to public_html

Make a new folder and call it downloads (the url for this would be yourdomain.com/downloads)

Now we will password protect the folder - Password Protecting Directories | Learning cPanel

2.) You will upload the files to that 'downloads' folder we made in step 1

3.) Let's say you uploaded file1.pdf to the downloads folder you made in step 1. The url to link to that file would be yourdomain.com/downloads/file1.pdf

Upon clicking that link, the visitor would need to provide a username / password that you set at the end of step 1.