The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me on this one. Domain name resolves when it wants to.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wacnstac, Apr 10, 2003.

1. wacnstac

wacnstac Well-Known Member

This one is causing my users, myself, and my NOC to go nuts. I have one domain name that is mapped to the domain name servers that are on my server that we have problems with. The problems come and go, don't seem to happen at any particular time or duration. It's been going on a month now since the domain name in question was moved to this new server so propagation shouldn't be a problem.l

I have several websites mapped to the same IP through WHM. I only have the problem with one of them. Sytoms are the users sporadically will get no page loaded when going to the URL. I have other domain names parked on this same account and when the problem is happening they can get in through the back door by one of the parked domain names, however banners served through the main domain name do not load.

Any ideas? Any ideas on how to debug this since it doesn't happen to me? When the problem happens the users can always trace to my root IP, it's the domain in particular that doesn't resolve.

HELP!!

2. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

Have you tried DNSReport?
    Have you had you customer do nslookup on their IPS's nameservers when the problem is happening?
    When the customer is having a problem with their site can they reach other sites on your server?

3. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

I've been having this issue too with domains running on my CPanel DNS...it's really strange.

From time to time, suddenly www.domain.com stops working while domain.com is still working or the domain will be entirely unreachable. Just random outages.

Since the domains are still resolving from other locations it must be ISP related, but to me the questions remains why do I only have this issue with domains running on my CPanel DNS and not with domains running on my other DNS...

When I do a nslookup on the primary nameserver of my ISP I get:
    *** ns1.******.com can't find www.******.com: Server failed

When I do a lookup on other nameservers, the domain resolves.

If this would happen to all my domains (including the domains that are not running on CPanel DNS) then I could fully blame it on the ISP, but it's just my CPanel DNS that has these issues.

#3 jamesbond, Apr 11, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2003
  4. wacnstac

I had someone who was experiencing the problem run DNSreport on the problem URL and it reported no problems with the nameservers which are also on my server. This problem really has me stumped. It doesn't happen to everyone on the site and I can't recreate the problem through my ISP's so it is very difficult to fix.

This problem is troubling in that not all users experience it, but when they do they have trouble getting to the main domain name on all of my WHM accounts even though they can succesfully trace to the IP address. It appears as though the DNServers on under WHM stop working for random periods of time to some of my users.

#4 wacnstac, Apr 11, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2003
  5. Finkinstein

Finkinstein Well-Known Member

I am having the same problems...

Sometimes the domain wont work with www and sometimes it will. Sometimes subdomains wont work. Sometimes I can't see sites when others can and all my customers report the same thing...

Has anyone found a solution to this?

6. wacnstac

Yes PLllllllllllllllease, this is getting very irritating to myself and my viewers.

7. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

Can you find out the dns of your clients isp and ssh into your server when this happens and do a dig@theirisp and see what it returns?

8. jamesbond

In my case, the (sub)domains simply don't resolve through the ISP in question

For example when I can't reach one of my (sub)domains and I do a nslookup on the primary nameserver of my ISP I get www.******.com: Server failed.

So, maybe the ISP zone file for that domain is either (partly) missing, or corrupt.
    The question remains why does this happen with CPanel DNS and not with my other DNS.

9. wacnstac

Networkoligist, that's what I need! :) How would I go about finding the DNS of my client? Do you do any freelance work? :)

Jamesbond, another question would be why it happens to only certain clients and only part of the time?

I've had my NOC supplement my two DNS with two of their own and have added these both to my zone file and the registrar to see if that will help.

10. jamesbond

I'm not a DNS expert but the problem is with the ISP nameservers mainly I think.
    So it depends on what ISP your client is using. The domain would resolve for him when using another ISP.

It's easy to check for me because it happens with my own ISP, but I know that some clients had the same troubles.

You can ask your client or their ISP what DNS they're using, and then use the nslookup or dig command to see if the domain resolves through their ISP nameservers.

I believe the outages are temporary because the domain zonefiles are refreshed every x hours and something goes wrong with that causing the domain to be unresolvable until the next refresh reloads the zonefile correctly and the domain starts resolving again.

Again, I'm only guessing here...

11. Finkinstein

It would make sense....

But most of my customers are from the UK and of the one's i asked, there were about 6 different isp's used....

They can't all be having the same problem and this has gone on for at least 2 weeks.

I even changed registrar.

12. wacnstac

Makes sense but how in the heck do you fix it? My domains where changed to point at my new server a month ago. Any propagation should done by now.

13. Finkinstein

It's not propogation.

There is a conflict somewhere... the problem has gone on too long to be a slight error with a dns setting elsewhere, such as a corrupt entry or whatever you said...

14. jamesbond

Ok, I have a LIVE situation at hand here :)

There is 1 domain on my server that I can't reach right now, while all other domains (as far as I know) are resolving fine.

I'll post some details, maybe it is of use to someone :)

From my windows XP pc I did this :

And now for another domain on the same server!

So as you can see the IP address and server is being returned for the 2nd domain (which is located on the same server), but the first nslookup for the 'problem domain' doesn't return anything useful.

The interesting thing about all this is when I do a nslookup from my CPanel server located elsewhere it does show the correct results!

So I have no clue where and why things go wrong exactly...hope someone else does :)
    All i know is that it only happens with my CPanel DNS, I never had any problems like this with my other DNS.

UPDATE:
    an hour later the domain is resolving again...

#14 jamesbond, Apr 12, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  15. Finkinstein

We need a DNS/Cpanel clever guy. Depending on where the problem is. The strangest thing is.... it's not constant, or at a set time!

16. wacnstac

Finkinstein you are absolutely correct in that it is not consistent, constant, a set time, or a set period of time. It seems totally random except for the people who it strikes,... it's the same set of people all the time. Unfortunately one of them is not me which makes it hard to debug.

17. PPNSteve

PPNSteve Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I've noticed this problem as well and have also noticed that a good 98% + of the users having the problem are using cable internet connections.. according to dslreports there is a know dns issue with most cable providers.. so this might be part of the problem..

just my thought s on this anyway.

18. jamesbond

Interesting..I'm having these problems AND I'm a cable user...

19. Finkinstein

I am a cable user.... interesting...

Isn't the problem due to some ip's that were given to an isp that aren't globally known of?

Well, thats a problem my isp has had for ages and its under "routing problem".

Unsure as to if this is it, but I do know of one 56k user that can't always see the subdomains, but can always (i think) see sites....

20. jamesbond

OK I did some more testing on one of the 'problem' ISP DNS (ns1.home.nl)
    As you can see there is no 'Answer section' returned when doing a dig on that nameserver.

root@host [~]# dig @ns1.home.nl ******.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.home.nl ******.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 34788
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;******.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    ******.com. 97103 IN NS NS1.******.com.
    ******.com. 97103 IN NS NS2.******.com.

;; Query time: 99 msec
    ;; SERVER: 212.120.66.204#53(ns1.home.nl)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Apr 13 09:10:53 2003
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 69

This is how it should look :

root@host [~]# dig @ns1.otherisp.com .******.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.otherisp.com .******.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30249
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;.******.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    .******.com. 14116 IN A 209.**.***.***

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    .******.com. 14116 IN NS ns1..******.com.
    .******.com. 14116 IN NS ns2..******.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1..******.com. 172503 IN A 209.**.***.***
    ns2..******.com. 172503 IN A 209.**.***.***

;; Query time: 89 msec
    ;; SERVER: ns1.otherisp.com#53(ns1.otherisp.com)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Apr 13 09:15:21 2003
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 117