The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! Need to RollBack to 10.xx ASAP.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chucky5, May 7, 2007.

1. chucky5

chucky5 Registered

Hi guys,

Immediately after updating to WHM 11 my server started to have multiple problems (it was working perfectly fine before the upgrade)

1- custom backup script gives this error: gzip: unrecognized option `--rsyncable--rsyncable'

2- my server is extremely unresponsive (http,ftp,mail) "top" shows nothing unusual ~ 90% id)

3- my server stopped receiving outside mail (I can still receive my server generated reports)

Now I know I could try to resolve all these problems but I would much prefer to do a "Software RollBack" to WHM 10.xx and wait a few weeks until cPanel cleans up the few remaining issues with the new WHM 11. A while back I have enabled that option in "Tweak Settings" so my server has now 4 previous versions (in /usr/local/cpanel-rollback)

My question is simple: How do you actually do a "Software RollBack"??? (not a config. rollback) I've looked everywhere but couldn’t find any info on how to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Chuck

2. chucky5

chucky5 Registered

Hi again,

Anyone can help me? Chirpy?

Upon further debugging, I've noticed that WHM 11 changes a huge number of scripts, such as cpbackup, which my modified cron script was using and doesn't work anymore in WHM 11

export GZIP="-1 --rsyncable" ; nice -n 20 /scripts/cpbackup --->> now produce the error:

gzip: unrecognized option `--rsyncable--rsyncable'

BTW, usually I'm able to find a solution to my cPanel installation problems by carefully searching this forum so as to not ask questions that have been previously answered (hence my very low post count even though I've been registered on this forum since 2004) but this time around I'm really stuck! I haven't found any info/howto regarding the feature "Software Rollback"

Anyone can help me on how to revert to WHM 10.XX?

Thanks,

Chuck

3. gundamz

gundamz Well-Known Member

WHM 11 support the custom make --rsyncable. So, remove the extra --rsyncable in your cron
    then login to WHM to reconfigure it.

4. chucky5

chucky5 Registered

Thank you very much gundamz :)

Unfortunately, I'm still having many issues with this WHM v11 release. Would you (or someone else) know how to use the "Software Rollback" feature by any chance? I've looked into all cPanel documentation I could find but nada, zip, nothing!

Cheers,

Chuck

5. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

Chucky5:

STABLE and RELEASE are still running 10.x you can roll back to one of those, assuming you are using CURRENT.

Or if you would like you can submit a ticket and we will troubleshoot your issues on cPanel 11.

6. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

cpanel 11 is running great on most people servers. i think it would be far much easier to debug and troubleshoot the issues you are experiencing than rolling back to cpanel 10, as since 24 may or so, cpanel 10 would be out and only cpanel 11 will get updates.

7. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Katmai.

Is better to work out the issues you are having with cPanel 11.

8. rachweb

rachweb Well-Known Member

open a ticket or let us now what the problems are.

9. chucky5

chucky5 Registered

Thanks for all your replies and comments :) I've already gone back to RELEASE 10.x for the moment.

BTW, I would still like to know how this "Software Rollback" works :confused: This will be useful when I'll move to v11 and decide to rollback a particular v11 build.

Any info/how-to on that feature?

Chuck

10. eddy2099

eddy2099 Member

I was experiencing the

and that was really a big issue for me. I am glad I did the roll back. I guess I will have to wait for this issue to be fixed before I upgrade to v11 again.

A nice interface is not going to do much for me if I cannot receive any emails.

11. hartzcs

hartzcs Member

Maybe someone could be nice enough to answer the question that this thread is about? How do you do a "Software RollBack"?

#11 hartzcs, May 8, 2007
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  12. Louie

Louie Registered

A quick question - I gather that if you are on current release and then choose say stable, and do a "upgrade to latest version" that it will 'update' you to the latest stable version? Effectively if you are on v11 then you will go back to v10 - is that correct?

I can see what you mean though about wanting to go back to your partcular version - not sure how to do that.

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its doubtful that going to a newer 11.x will resolve the problem as the problem is likely a conflict between your custom settings and the way cPanel 11.x configures exim.

You might want to put in a ticket so someone can help you with the upgrade process. If you really need one on one live help, then you might want to get phone support from the cPanel store at http://www.cpanel.net/store/

14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Member

Well, I did a forced Exim Upgrade and it seems to fix the issue. I am not sure about custom settings as all my settings were done from within WHM.

I am now getting my emails.

15. BubbaGum

BubbaGum Active Member

well I'm not sure about rollbacks, but we had to migrate back to release and stable versions since cp 11 is not working correctly. We rolled back on 95% of our servers because there are way too many problems such as:

1. reseller accounts not showing in drop downs when creating accounts
    2. Shared and dedicated SSL certs showing as not vaild and erroring out in all browsers
    3. account quota modification buttons are non-clickable in some browsers
    4. users not able to login into their cpanel accounts unless huge amounts of memory allowances made.
    5. reseller account totals reflect entire system, rather than individual resellers allocations
    6. PHP no longer working behind .htaccess
    7. .htacess non-functioning on existing directories
    8. self-signed server SSL certs not valid and preventing users from logging into cpanel/webmail/etc.
    9. SSL certs generating errors that host name and cert name do not match, when they do.

Most of the problems revolve around the reseller center, SSL, .htaccess, and layouts not fully cross browser compatible. cpanel 11 has been such a catastrophy for us to the point that we could not field all the techsupport calls the last week resulting in a requirement to roll back to v10 and turn off auto updates for cpanel. (most boxen on centOS 4.x and some stragglers in the 3.8x range)

I know some people are having good luck cp 11, but we've had huge problems with cp 11 and "staying" reliable for our customers. But cp 11 is a great interface and looks like a great idea, but it is not ready for a production environment (neither current nor beta).

16. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you perhaps mean Reseller Packages? If so, that issue will shortly be resolved in cPanel 11 Current (http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5381)

This is not the same as #9, correct? These are certs for end-user websites? Do you have an example warning/error messge produced that prevented access?

Which browsers? I just checked IE 7, IE 6, IE 5.5, FireFox 1.5, FireFox 2, Konqueror 3.5.6 and Safari 2.0.4 The Change Quota button worked for all these browsers.

I've seen a report about this elsewhere on the forum, something to do with this tweak setting "The maximum memory a cPanel process can use before it is killed off (in megabytes). Values less than 64 megabytes can not be specified" when set below 128 MB seems to cause problems. What is yours set at?

Are these the totals listed at Main >> Reseller Center >> View Usage/Stats and Manage ? Or is it a different listing?

Could you expound upon this? What do you mean that PHp doesn't work behind .htaccess? How can I duplicate this?

If you mean Password protect directories broken after the upgrade to cPanel 11, yes that was an issue that was raised and resolved in the latest Current builds. If you mean something else, please expound

If I understand this correctly, you mean users going to the cpanel domain /cpanel rather than the WHM server /cpanel and receiving the warning about SSL Cert hostnames not matching? Do the cPanel domains have certs (self-signed or not) installed?

It's easily apparent you encountered problems upon the upgrade. If you could help me with the questions above, we can hopefully get this resolved before cPanel 11 goes to Release, or Stable, branch. If I seem rather curt, I apologise, just trying to get to the core issue(s) fast :)

17. BubbaGum

BubbaGum Active Member

no prob. I've given up mostly as of an hour ago. Only have one box left on cp 11 current, which is not going to help reproduce the probs customers were having.

the php behind .htaccess was the inability to post to phpbb running behind .htaccess. Reverting back to a 10.x version allowed people to post again. (php 4.4.3 and latest phpbb from cp). Reverting back to 10.x fixed this problem.

browser: Opera 8.x, Opera 9.x Firefox 1.5 and 2.x were fine (I don't care to test IE anything in such cases), but I have some folks on opera that could not make those changes.

sorry I don't have the SSL error images anymore, but basically the shared SSL certs from geotrust QuickSSL were causing browsers to calim the host names did not match. Reverting back to 10.x fixed this problem.

On folks using SSL connection to whm/cpanel/webmail they would just go to a blank screen, even after discovering that there was a new toggle to set a cert up as shared in the SSL managers. Reverting back to 10.x fixed this problem.

we had tons of reports that people could not access items behind .htaccess after the changes, but did not confirm as we decided to do roll backs to fix the problems.

But as an update since my last post, we found some of the machines were not on perl 5.8.8 (was 5.8.7 and one had 5.8.6), so not sure if that is related or not, but we cannot test that now.

I think this is great stuff, but I just can't afford to become a beta tester in these situations. I'll continue to play with the one remaining box that has 20 or so live clients on it (and 1 reseller), but for now it's working okay. I'll keep reporting bugs when appropriate over at bugzilla.

18. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the added details.
    So phpBB is installed in a password protected directory, and after the upgrade, people were no longer able to login via HTTP Auth to access phpBB?

I'll verify the extact issues with Opera and send the details to Design.

OK, I'll do some tests on this, either over the weekend or next week. Or if someone has the particulars, feel free to post them here.

19. merlinpa1969

merlinpa1969 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One other issue we are having,

we have rolled all but 1 server back to 10x
    we thoughthis one was OK but have since noticed that when an account is setup, that is supposed to have a dedicated IP that its NOT adding the dedicated IP,

thats a big one for us,.

20. ShannonS

ShannonS Member

i cant create an account on lastest current release it gave errors about cant add user group but once i rolled back to release which is 10x it worked perfect