The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with a really weird problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oats, Jun 27, 2004.

1. oats

oats Registered

I’d be very grateful for any help with a really weird problem on one site on a Hostgator reseller package. I can’t work it out, and so far neither can Hostgator. This post is pretty long winded, but I’ve tried to include everything to provide as many clues as possible. I think you’ll need them lol.

The symptoms:

1. The site in question is one of several on the same reseller package.
    2. It was set up 11 May and gave no problems until 28 May. I was working on it daily during this period building the site.
    3. Starting on 28 May I have had a problem with it every single day.
    4. Sometimes the site loads fine, and everything works perfectly.
    5. Every day at some time the site stops loading for me – ‘Page cannot be displayed’
    6. When this happened first I was emailing you to moan about it, you said it loaded ok for you, and when I checked again it loaded for me too.
    7. I have since checked with other people and it appears to be loading ok for everyone else except me when this happens …
    … except the 3 PC’s on this local network. When the site stops loading for me it also stops loading for all 3 PC’s on this network (i.e. on this IP).
    8. The problem therefore SEEMS to be somehow related to this IP, but it is not a permanent problem with it.
    9. The site comes back again each day some time later – maybe many hours later, sometimes sooner.
    10. I have tried rebooting my PC. Twice the site has come back after this, mostly doesn’t. The reboot may therefore be just coincidence.
    11. When the site comes back for me, it also comes back to the other 2 PC’s on this network too.
    12. I can’t see any particular pattern to when the site will or will not load, or when it comes back.
    13. Even when the site won’t load for me I can still access cPanel for it, and access by fpt.
    14. When the site won’t load for me, I can’t send or receive emails from it either. This is usually the first indication I have that the problem has recurred, as Outlook generates an error message.

Some facts and stuff I have tried so far:
    1. It is one of a number of sites I have on the server. The rest are working fine – the problem is unique to this site.
    2. It is a phpnuke site, though it has html pages too. When the problem occurs, no pages will load.
    3. On whm, when I list accounts and click on the IP beside this account it loads the first page (index.html, located in the public_html folder of the site), except for one of the images. For this image it looks as though it is looking in the server root directory for it – properties display the URL as xxxxx.websitewelcome.com/images/sport/welcome.gif . The other image on the page and the images on all other sites I have on the server show a URL path to the specific site, e.g. xxxxx.websitewelcome.com/~user/assets/images/main_r2_c2.gif
    4. The welcome.gif image is in the /images/sport/ folder in the public_html dir of the site ok.
    5. The welcome.gif image also contains a link to an index.php file (also located in the public_html folder of the site) that is the front page of the main site – a phpnuke. When I click on this link (i.e. on the missing image) I get the following error …
    Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

That also happens when the site is loading normally, so may not be significant.
    6. At one stage I suspected that the site had somehow blocked my IP. If so, it doesn’t show up on the IP Deny Manager in cPanel. Also, the problem clears without me going near the cPanel.
    7. The network configuration I have here is an ADSL line into an ADSL modem, from that modem to a router, then each of the 3 PC’s from that router. Any of the times I rebooted my PC and the problem cleared I did not reboot the other PC’s or the modem, or router.
    8. I have tried clearing cookies, temp files, and history in IE 6, but this doesn’t make any difference.
    9. I have tried closing down antivirus etc. I do have a hardware firewall that I have not disabled (for obvious reasons) but the site loads fine some of the time with this in place, as do all other websites including others on the server.
    10. Every time I ask Hostgator to look at it and they come back saying it looks fne to them, it is fine when I look ... almost like the action of them looking at the site clears the problem. Could be coincidence of course.

I can’t work this out. A problem that appears to affect only my IP and only this site on the entire planet, and only sometimes. It occurs and clears for no apparent reason - certainly nothing I am doing here.

You have to admit it’s interesting.

Look forward to your thoughts! My gratitude and possible a hug to anyone who can tell me what the problem is.

The folks on webhostingtalk.com haven't cracked it either, though a number of sugestions are looking at nameservers/DNS issues. This stuff is over my head, but I'm wondering about what there might be in cpanel or whm that I could lok at. I don't want to tinker when I don't know what I'm doing.

The domain is www.visportanswers.co.uk

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'll throw one question in:

Do they have mod_dosevasive or mod_security installed for Apache?

4. oats

oats Registered

I have seen this report and passed it on to Hostgator but they haven't commented - just say the site works for them. The report doesn't always come up with red boxes - sometimes even a refresh clears them. I'm not sure what the warnings mean though, and more important, how can they errors be fixed? By whom?

Chirpy, thanks - how do I check this?

5. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have root access to WHM?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

For the apache modules, you'll have to ask your provider, unfortunately.

It's not much help your host saying it works OK for them, when they know from you that it is only you who suffers the problem :rolleyes: . At the end of the day, you have to decide whether you're "flogging a dead horse" and need to move elsewhere, or even get your own server.

7. oats

oats Registered

First point - couldn't agree more. It's VERY frustrating.

Second point - generally support fixes things quickly, but they seem to have a policy of not explaining what the problem was and generally being pretty 'abrupt' in their replies. That IS a bit worrying. I would think about moving, or my own server, but the tech side of running and maintaining it is new territory for me, and I don't want to get distracted by learning it. Any suggestions about moving to my own server greatly appreciated, including good UK based provider.

Thanks again

8. oats

oats Registered

I have whm, not sure if it's root access..

9. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your dig record for visportanswers.co.uk shows:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> visportanswers.co.uk
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 9355
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;visportanswers.co.uk. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    visportanswers.co.uk. 11891 IN A 69.93.237.34

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    visportanswers.co.uk. 11891 IN NS ns14.websitewelcome.com.
    visportanswers.co.uk. 11891 IN NS ns13.websitewelcome.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns14.websitewelcome.com. 170351 IN A 69.93.237.35
    That looks good. However your dnsreport.com shows:
    http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=visportanswers.co.uk
    with bigpinkhippo.com as the nameservers on the same IP addresses. And from checkdns.net:
    http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheck.aspx?domain=visportanswers.co.uk&detailed=1
    NS list mismatch: registration authority reports that domain is hosted on the following servers: 'ns1.bigpinkhippo.com; ns2.bigpinkhippo.com', but DNS server ns1.bigpinkhippo.com reports domain to be hosted on 'ns13.websitewelcome.com; ns14.websitewelcome.com'. Please make sure that you configure the same DNS servers in registrar database and on your DNS