The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with memcached install starting to go pear shaped

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stardotstar, Jun 10, 2010.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have been following numerous links around the forums and web on how to install memcached on a centos 5 cpanel server and come to grief in a couple of places now and decided to stop before I got too deep and broke stuff...

Summary:

I attempted to follow a process where an rpmforge repo was added and then the rpm for memcached was pulled in and built

Code:
    oot@jupiter [/home/arcplane/www/forums/includes]# rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
    Retrieving http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
    warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.IdLAYM: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       1:rpmforge-release       ########################################### [100%]

Then I tried to pull in the memcached rpm

Code:
    root@jupiter [/home/arcplane/www/forums/includes]# yum -y install memcached
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * addons: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * base: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * extras: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
     * updates: ftp.swin.edu.au
    addons                                                                                        |  951 B     00:00     
    base                                                                                          | 2.1 kB     00:00     
    base/primary_db                                                                               | 1.6 MB     00:00     
    extras                                                                                        | 2.1 kB     00:00     
    rpmforge                                                                                      | 1.1 kB     00:00     
    rpmforge/primary                                                                              | 3.8 MB     00:07     
    rpmforge                                                                                                 10495/10495
    updates                                                                                       | 1.9 kB     00:00     
    virtualbox                                                                                    |  951 B     00:00     
    Excluding Packages in global exclude list
    Finished
    Setting up Install Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
    The program yum-complete-transaction is found in the yum-utils package.
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package memcached.i386 0:1.4.5-1.el5.rf set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Socket) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Handle) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: libevent-1.1a.so.1 for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(YAML) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(Term::ReadKey) for package: memcached
    ---> Package compat-libevent-11a.i386 0:3.2.1-1.el5.rf set to be updated
    ---> Package memcached.i386 0:1.4.5-1.el5.rf set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Socket) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Handle) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(YAML) for package: memcached
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(Term::ReadKey) for package: memcached
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(YAML) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(Term::ReadKey) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Socket) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Handle) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(Term::ReadKey) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(YAML) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Handle) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(AnyEvent::Socket) is needed by package memcached-1.4.5-1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
     You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
     You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                            package-cleanup --dupes
                            rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
    The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.

This then led me to try and find the perl(YAML) rpm which was unavailable and likely part of a repo that I don't have enabled.

I am not very familiar yet with difficult dependency resolution as my background has been with apt and emerge and yum/rpm are still a bit foreign.

I then added the yum-utils package and tried the package-cleanup and after running it found the following problems (?)
    Code:
    root@jupiter [/home/arcplane/www/forums/includes]# yum -y install yum-utils
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * addons: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * base: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * extras: ftp.swin.edu.au
     * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
     * updates: ftp.swin.edu.au
    Excluding Packages in global exclude list
    Finished
    Setting up Install Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
    The program yum-complete-transaction is found in the yum-utils package.
    ---> Package yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1 set to be updated
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=====================================================================================================================
     Package                   Arch                   Version                                 Repository            Size
    =====================================================================================================================
    Installing:
     yum-utils                 noarch                 1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1                  base                  69 k

Transaction Summary
    Install       1 Package(s)
    Upgrade       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 69 k
    Downloading Packages:
    yum-utils-1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1.noarch.rpm                                                   |  69 kB     00:00     
    Running rpm_check_debug
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
      Installing     : yum-utils                                                                                     1/1 

Installed:
      yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1                                                                          

Complete!
    root@jupiter [/home/arcplane/www/forums/includes]# package-cleanup --problems
    Setting up yum
    Reading local RPM database
    Processing all local requires
    Missing dependencies:
    Package MySQL-server requires perl(DBI)
    Package MySQL-client requires perl(DBI)
    Package exim requires libresolv.so.2(GLIBC_PRIVATE)
    Package exim requires perl(SafeFile)
    Package bandmin requires perl(bandmin.conf)
    Package bandmin requires perl(bmversion.pl)
    Package bandmin requires perl(services.conf)

I tried some things to start building manually and got a version of it running manually.

The problem is that I really want to avoid the manual source built approach for my system and given that I will have to do an easy-apache rebuild next I am nervous about versions and so forth.

Could someone enlightened in these things please give me a helping hand before I tinker with something that will cause me grief?

Best regards,
    Will

2. stardotstar

Anyone please? I have completed a multi domain server move and need memcached running for three new domains. I am at a loss as to how to resolve the above dependencies and/or resort to manual implementation...

3. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

There are two module that need for complete working of memcached ,

- The memcached server , and
    - The php-pecl-memcache module

Along with this , your php application must support memcached too . I have two documents for configuring memcached in VB and openx server . Please see it below,

Memcached for vbulletin
    Memchached for Openx

Let me know this will help you or not.

4. stardotstar

Thank you very much for your articles - I will study and report back!

5. stardotstar

Hi Mastersherin,

I will be trying to follow your memcached install instructions today and yet wonder if I need to do the apache bit with easy-apache - I am aware that with a cP server I can do much on the backend manually but also that it is encouraged to do things the "cPanel way" and don't want to break anything by manually interfearing with a critical production service that I should work on with the cPanel tools.

From my looking at my aborted attempt above it seems that I am on the right track trying to install memcached manually from the terminal and that solving the deps is a matter of finding the right rpms etc.

I will attempt this today. I look forward to any other comment you may be able to make to assist me in the apache side of things.

WIll

6. stardotstar

OK, I got it all working ...

Thanks to Mastersherin for the invaluable information on installing and configuring the system.

I did have to google and ensure that the

extension=memcache.so

was added to the global php.ini (even though I had checked the box in the easy-apache config php section)

I have also enabled and added various other optimizations that Sherin has recommended and am working on getting the most out of my vBs and OpenX on the new server.

Thanks for the help

Final thing:

how do I get the memcached daemon to "start" provided by Sherin as per the init.d script in Centos5 so that after reboot the system will have memcahce available>

Ie do I have to add it to the startup/boot daemons and how is that done in centos 5 - I used rc-update in gentoo...

Thanks very much!
    Will

7. johnburk

johnburk Well-Known Member

@mastersherin

Thank you! Your info was very useful