The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cjheinlein, Jan 31, 2005.

1. cjheinlein

cjheinlein Registered

I have recently opened an account with a webhost that uses cpanel for there hosting services. I was given information that Changes my current domains DNS NameServer from the providers default, to ones that access cpanel. The DNS NameServers I was given are as follows:

http://ns2.unixbsd.info
    http://ns3.unixbsd.info

The first one I used was for my @ (none) Hostname, the second I used for my www Hostname. When trying to view my website through the www. address, i get a page from Cpanel that says "There is No website configured at this address" along with some other information.

If someone could please help me with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also My DNS Server info is still set for the Default setting (basically when I bought my domain name, it has a default DNS server). Does this need to be changed as well?

Thanks for any help that you can give on this topic

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I take it from what you are saying that the host with which you opened the account uses the nameservers:

http://ns2.unixbsd.info
    http://ns3.unixbsd.info

If this is correct, to get your domain name working with the host you would need to change the dns servers for your domain to these.

The nameserver addresses should only be used for this and not for what you have used them for. If you can, change the dns settings you changed back to what they were. If you can't remember or find out what the settings were before, your domain will most likely not work until properly transferred to your new account.

I suggest that you first contact the host with which you opened the account and ask them to check that the dns records they have listed for your domain are set up correctly.

Assuming that they are (as they should have been automatically set up by WHM when the account was created), you should then change the dns sevrers for your domain to the ones you have been given and once these changes have propagated (usually 24-72 hours) your domain will (or most likely should) point to and work with your new account.

3. cjheinlein

cjheinlein Registered

here's what i have done

I have changed the DNS server info to those listed above. My question is, is it necessary to find out the default DNS settings that were on my domain before I changed them because all they do is point my domain name to a page parking service. Basically, when you type in my web address, it would come up with a page that says "this domain name is being parked here" and other info about the domain provider, offers and a login screen. I have contacted my provider as to what the default addresses were, but not sure if it's necessary. My DNS settings option goes away as well when I change the DNS server.

Also, once I change my DNS server to the cpanel addresses I have, all of my other options within my domain control panel go away (eg. web site settings, email settings, parking settings, etc. etc.)

Lastly, once I changed the DNS server info, how long does it take before those settings are applied and redirected to the cpanel addresses I was given?

Thanks for all of your help on this subject once again :):):)

Chris

***Update***

I have changed the DNS server settings to those provided to me by my web host, but I still run into the same problem. When I try to go to my website, I get a page that comes up from cpnale that says:

I am thinking that I haven't saved my settings within cpanel correctly, but all I though I needed to do was upload my "index.html" file and it would automaitically redirect to that page.

Also, please note that I am a novice in the web desing field and this is my first domain name that I have purchased, so I'm still trying to figure everything out in regards to that.

So I do appreciate any help that is given on this subject and would like to thank those who could help.

#3 cjheinlein, Jan 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. webignition

poppopopopopopop

Well, if this is the case then there shouldn't be any need to bother.

In short, you should be able to manage all this through your cpanel account. Try logging into your cpanel account and see what you can do - its worthwhile setting up your email requirements as a minimum before the domain transfers so that things will work as you expect when it does.

Give it 24 - 72 hours. I know this seems a long time, but there are lots of dns servers all round the world that the changes need to be passed onto. Due to the volume of traffic generated if they were to do so, dns servers don't constantly update and might update once every 24 hours so so.

5. webignition

Sorry cjheinlein, I didn't notice the update to your post as I was writing a reply.

The dns server changes you made will take 24 - 72 hours to propagate, so sit back and be patient!

During this time its not a bad idea to contact the host from whom you purchased the account and check that the dns records for your domain are set up there correctly.

The dns records they have for you will have no effect until the domain has transferred (that 24 - 72 hour thing again), so it give you plenty of time to check that they are correct.

6. cjheinlein

cjheinlein Registered

got it

thanks a million, after serious review, I answered my own questins in regards to this. Once I changed my DNS server info, everything works fine now.

Once again, thanks a million for the help.

Chris