The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please: Need Help with Constant High Server Load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tina, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Tina

Tina Well-Known Member

Between mysql, mailman and named (from what I can see anyway), my server is practically unreachable a portion of every hour. CPU ranges from 2.5 to 7 and sometimes I can't even ssh in.

I don't know why or how and I am wondering if any of you server gurus can offer me some tips to optimize it.

This only started happening over the last month.

I have about 25 active sites on it which get nominal traffic. I was thinking that the server could handle much more than that...

Email: on average 800 messages/day, that's in and out with about 50% being spam

Several sites are shopping carts, three of them are cms (joomla), one forum and only one client uses mailman and he has three lists that he uses maybe once a month. The rest of the sites are vanity sites w/o any additional scripting except for 2 which have some custom small sql/php scripts.

Over the last 5 days I have been watching top and the only thing that looks out of the ordinary is mailman python. It appears OFTEN, like once every few minutes and there are about 8 of them. Does this sound normal? Are there any optimizing guides for this service that someone can point me to?

Mailscanner seems to take up a ton of resources too. I've decreased the number of children from 2 to 1

I've used WHM to calculate apache memory/usage (don't really know what it is, but I clicked it)

I've reset log processing to nighttime hours only. It shows that the server is keeping up.

Named seems to be using a lot of resources, but I have no idea why and I don't know how to troubleshoot it

Mysql uses more than all of these combined. Again, is there a way to optimize it?

I have a VPS, 768MB Ram, 35GB HDD (25% used), its quad dual xenon
    WHM 11.20.0 cPanel 11.22.3-C23899
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.5 i686 on xen - WHM X v3.1.0

Do other VPS users in the same array impact my resources?
    Do I have too many sites on the server?

One more thing: when reviewing my cpu/memory/mysql status in WHM I noticed one of the users was called 'UNAUTHENTICATED' - should I be concerned?

I depend a lot on cpanel and for the last 6 years it's been really great. And I have also been able to get all the help I needed just by using this forum. The community support here is outstanding. Hopefully someone out there can steer me in the right direction because I don't have enough expertise to troubleshoot this on my own.

Thank you.
    Tina

#1 Tina, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How much memory is your server actually using? This should show in top or by using the command free -m

How many messages are in your mail queue?

exim -bpc

How many MySQL connections do you have when under a high load?

mysqladmin processlist

It is possible that if the other VPSs on the node are consuming too many resources then this can affect your VPS, but its not very common with reputable VPS providers.

3. lukas1234

lukas1234 Member

I had also problem with high load of exim so i resolved that problem by turning off it.Bad this could be problematic if you have customer on server which uses mail

4. Tina

Tina Well-Known Member

Mem: 786600k total, 751608k used, 34992k free, 43436k buffers
    Swap: 524280k total, 544k used, 523736k free, 326416k cached

exim -bpc

mysqladmin processlist show 2 connections

I'm not really sure but it looks like my memory is maxxed out. Is this true?