The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plesk 7 with old MySql to cPanel ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArtOfTheGroove, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ArtOfTheGroove

I'm wondering if it's possible to migrate from my old server running Plesk 7.5.1 and MySql 3.23 to my new server (not sure of the cPanel version, I just commissioned it today so I imagine it's the newest).

I want to do something differently than most of the requests I have seen here - I don't want to immediately switch the DNS over and make the sites live from the new server. I'm going to setup new nameservers on the new machine, and I want to be able to switch a domain over to the new server by simply changing the nameservers at the registrar. I want to start with low risk domains and then move up to my most critical clients - slowly and cautiously.

I also want to be able to switch back to the older server in the same manner - because I am paranoid about something going wrong with the new server. I'm allowing a two month overlap so that I may revert back to the old server at any time.

Even with all of the time available I would love to use the cPanel transfer feature... but my old MySql version doesn't appear to meet the requirements. I was thinking of going with tar over ssh for the httpdocs stuff, but getting the all of the email accounts / passwords / webmail data would certainly be easier with the cPanel transfer.

Any way around this other than upgrading MySql on the old server? (I don't want to touch anything on the old server!)

John T.