Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Plesk Log Equivalent in cPanel

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by hennesseystealth, Jun 26, 2018.

1. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    In Plesk, for each domain, there was a link called Logs which gave me all the transactions. I could sort by code (401 etc.) and see any unwanted activity and then transfer that IP address to Cloudflare to block future visits.

I can't find an equivalent in cPanel or WHM. Any suggestions?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @hennesseystealth

You should be able to see raw log data like this in cPanel>>Metrics>>Raw Access Logs you can also use statistics to get figures like this sorted by common data sets like monthly visits, daily visits, http status codes (like 404, 301 etc.)

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The raw log is just a data dump and has no sorting built in. I would have to develop an app to sort by error code, but the format isn't conducive to that. It was just nice that I could enter a 4 for the code in Plesk and get all the 4XX errors listed.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @hennesseystealth

You might want to take a second look at the metrics section (awstats in particular) in that instance, I understand it's different than what you were looking for but it should provide you with the same information.

There's also cPanel>>Metrics>>Visitors which will give you this data as well. By default it doesn't include status codes but if you click Visitors>>Your site>>The gear in the right hand side and check off the "Status" box mine gives me that days report with the status codes and it allows sorting by status codes.

For example please see the screenshot of my UI below:

Visitors_example.png

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    hennesseystealth likes this.
  5. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Great, that is what I was looking for. Using the sort by Status allow me to go to the end of the file and see all the 4XX codes.

One thing that I don't see is an indication if the request came from a person or bot. Is that possible?

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @hennesseystealth

It's only going to add the fields present in the settings drop-down - IP, URL, Time, Size, Method, Protocol, Status, Referring URL, User Agent

any of the statistics software like Awstats and Webalizer will tell you which hits are from bots though.

Thanks!

hennesseystealth likes this.