The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plesk to CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bfrancis, Dec 4, 2009.

1. bfrancis

bfrancis Registered

Hi

Having taken the decision to move from Plesk to Cpanel and a new hosting provider - I am now in the unenviable position of having to configure my new set up.

Having found a transfer account button, I got a little excited (in a "I'm a geek" fashion) about the prospect of just pressing that and watching my server automagically appear in a new place...but I think my excitement was a little premature.

Does anyone have any idea how long this process should take for approx 35GB worth of domains, one user and 60 or so domains. Is it a case of hours or days or years?

The page has been hovering for about 3 hours on the "Packaging the account..." message but there is no sign that it is doing anything. Is there anyway I can check to see if the process is working and any progress.

Many thanks for any advice!
    Ben

#1 bfrancis, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

I have not personally done a Plesk migration, but I do know that cPanel offer a free migration service. You can find details about it here. If nothing else you could submit a ticket and ask them for guidance on the matter.

As for the length of time to complete, it depends on the server specs (both ends), and the connection speed between them. You might try logging into each server via ssh and running top to check for signs of life. Also since its been awhile already, you could potentially check your datacenter's bandwidth graphs for either server to see if there has been large amounts of data going in/out.

Hope this helps some.

3. cPanelJesse

cPanelJesse Technical Analyst Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you utilized the GUI to begin this transfer, it should at least show you lines of dots that keep popping up showing you that it's making progress, do you see this?

The length of time can vary as voltar stated, the largest factor is the network between the 2 servers.

If you need any assistance, please feel free to open a support ticket and we (the migration team) would be more than happy to assist. :)

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Registered

Thanks both for your help - unfortunately I am using CPanel as an installation from my new hosters so I don't think I am eligible for your migration support.

The two hosts that I am migrating between are Rackspace to WiredTree - so I assume things are going to be running as quick as they could be.

The progress of the page has stayed at "Packaging the account..." with just three dots for five hours - so I assume something went wrong somewhere - are there logs to check to see what happened? If it turns out that the auto process has failed - am I right to assume I can just start the process manually (blech!) and that it won't have half-installed bits.

Thanks again
    Ben

5. cPanelJesse

cPanelJesse Technical Analyst Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If it's a dedicated server, and you have a transfer coming to cPanel from another control panel, then you qualify!

If you would like, submit a ticket with both servers credentials and we can definitely take a look at this for you. :)

6. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you still qualify for migration assistance, it couldn't hurt to open a ticket and ask. :)

Edit: Jesse got it first.

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Registered

In that case, I love you all and, despite biological impossibilities, I want to bear your children.

Support ticket winging it's way through....

Thank you!