The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLONE not possible to install?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grisu59, May 14, 2003.

1. grisu59

grisu59 Member

First of all I'm sorry for my bad english but ... I'm italian

I would like install PLONE on the server where I have my reseller account but my server admisinistrator says that it's impossible because there is
    python2.1 = 2.1.3 is needed by Plone-1.0.1-2.1_1
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by Plone-1.0.1-2.1_1

I think that PLONE is really easier of PHPnuke or PST nuke
    but I don't know how to do to install the new version of Pyton

Do you can help me?

Thank's
    Claudio

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Good luck on that one. Cpanel support won't even answer that one. I would advise against it until they update it from within Cpanel. There's not much telling what would break before then. Not that it's working as advertised right now.

3. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

I'm interested in plone as well, but another question comes to my mind; perhaps someone here knows the answer.

Plone is a worked-out content-management system, riding atop the CMS tools of the zope server. As far as I know, zope is running on my server, though I'm I'm not completely sure how to check.

From the zope/plone doc it appears that zope itself is capable of providing the code, dbms, and web-serving, specifically on port 8080. But is not apache already running on port 8080?

I'd love to see if I can run this, but don't want to break apache for the websites already functional on our machine.

Anybody able to clarify this question, I would be grateful.

4. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

Hi
    Regarding the python on the cpanel box, you can compile any version of python and install in seperate prefix and use it from there. Which will not break any python related application which comes with cpanel.

for example Compile your python with different prefix eg /usr/local/mystuff/python

You can have zope and apache runs together in the cpanel box, the problem will be server load issue.

If you are not worrying about server load you can install the apache and zope together on the server which will not break anything.

you can use the apache to be the frontend to the zope server, in that case apache will rewrite the url and give to the zope server.

Zope is like(not really) apache it aslo support virtuall hosting and ssl.

hope that helps, you need above install you may contact me at : xerophyte@linuxnetworkcare.com

5. trakwebster

Man, that sounds great.

I think I will PM you to ask about paid assistance, if that would be possible. I'm also tempted to set up a separate server for this purpose. I'll mull this over and then contact you directly.

Do you have any reason to think that a separate install of python will be *necessary*? Or is this just a safety precaution?

6. trakwebster