The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nico, May 1, 2003.

1. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Are any of you using Plone - http://plone.org ?
    Is this a server wide install or can this be setup on idividual accounts? I was unable to make that distinction from their website. Perhaps a few more cups of Coffee are in order :)

2. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

[bump]

3. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Do you have ZOPE installed?

4. trakwebster

I do not have plone installed. Did you mean me, or were you asking Nico? And, lastly, have you got it installed, or tried to install it?

As to zope itself, I think the 'zope accellerator' is installed by cpanel along with php, but I don't know if that's the same thing as zope or not? I'm stumbling around in ignorance here.

5. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

6. trakwebster

Hi, efeito,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I get how plone is built atop zope.

The part that's not completely clear is how well zope, which delivers web pages, co-exists with apache, which is also delivering web pages.

Since posting, I did find a bit more information. It appears that apache normally operates on port 80 and zope on port 8080. I was confused about that.

But since most folks arriving at a website just show up at a domain such as www.somedomain.com, on my server that means the arriving request is going to apache.

Apparently there is some way that one can configure apache to pass the request on to zope -- perhaps similar to the way apache passes requests on to php -- and zope then provides the page and hands it to apache and apache provides it to the visitor.

However, just how that is done is not quite clear to me, and it sounds kind of scary. I wouldn't want to do anything to apache that would interfere with the work it already does.

Are you familiar with how this is done? I have found some documentation, but am not sure I really understand it.

7. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

Hi
    You can setup the apache to rewrite the url to zope. For example you can run the zope in any port you wish, and zope also support virtual hosting. Which mean you can host any number of domains with zope like apache.

How will you do this with cpanel server,
    1) Create normal domain account
    2) Make rewrite rule to zope for that domain in the httpd.conf or .htaccess (httpd.conf is good, because its reduce the load on the server, I dont know if cpanel overwrite the httpd.conf when you upgrade the cpanel )

for example :
    User time www.plonedomain.com -> apache (rewrite the url) -> zope server -> apache (rewrite ) -> user browser

Process repeats.

You will be running two server applications on the server which might give you some load problem, not to metion rewrite also CPU intensive.

If you need help you can contact me, at xerophyte@linuxnetworkcare.com. or aim : xerophytev

hope that helps

8. trakwebster

zope/plone coexistance

Hi, xerophyte,

Thanks for the illustration. This makes it more clear. In the meantime, I have found more documentation on zope and apache configuration here --

http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/Zope_and_Apache

I haven't found doc yet how how you make /home/domainx run through the zope engine, but I did find the Zope Book and probably the answer is in there somewhere.

In the meantime, one question that I have is -- have you (or anybody) ever installed zope on a cpanel box? Or do you know anybody who has installed zope on a cpanel box?

(I'd just feel more confident if I knew that somebody had done so, and nothing terrible happened.)

9. trakwebster