The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls. Help! Completely Newbie!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BusyMum, Jun 12, 2010.

1. BusyMum

BusyMum Member

Dear All,

I used mochahost to host my domains. They used cPanel x3 theme. For two days, this issue did not resolve with them. I am not a techie and also cannot understand techie jargon.

First, I published my website with xsitepro2 website builder and the publishing went successful. The content of the site were uploaded on public_html/addon_domain. But, not on www/addon_domain. Since, they can't resolve it, I just dragged all the files from public_html/addon_domain to www/addon_domain.

That process made the site online. But, someone noticed that the main domain became the add_on domain. Meaning, two domains have the same content.

I asked mochahost and told me to check the setting of Index Manager. So, I set the Web Root and Document Root of the /public_html/ of main domain to No Indexing.

But, nothing happens. The main domain still has the same content of the addon_domain.

Where do you think I go wrong?

Please tell me the step by step process from the beginning what I need to do since I am thinking just to delete the files from public_html/addon_domain and www/addon_domain and start from the beginning of Publishing the site.

I asked here because mochahost cannot resolve the problem. I sent them my details and images how I did so that they can see everything but still couldn't.

Hope you people here can provide me the right direction. And, thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm with you, but let me see if I can help somehow anyway. :)

If you had intended on uploading the site to that addon domain, you did it correctly it sounds like to me.

This is where you lost me.

www/addon_domain is the same thing as public_html/addon_domain

The www is a link or shortcut to public_html, not a directory.

If I understand the issue correctly, they're both the same files.

/home/username/public_html/addon_domain/
    /home/username/www/addon_domain/

These are the same place on your server.

So, any files you want in the public_html directory or main domain as you call it, you'd put them here:
    /home/username/public_html/

The files for this second site, that site you want to run in your addon_domain, would go here:
    /home/username/public_html/addon_domain/

To save yourself some confusion, ignore the www all together, use the directories as mentioned here.

Never heard of them, but if I understand the issue correctly, they should have been able to help with this, surely.

3. BusyMum

BusyMum Member

Thanks for your reply infopro.

I read also in cPanel documentation that www/addon_domain is the same as public_html/addon_domain. But when they test the site, mochahost created an info.php file on www/addon_domain but not on public_html/addon_domain. The www.addon_domain/info.php file was online. This was the reason, I dragged all files from public_html/addon_domain to www/addon_domain.

Anyways, I deleted the ftp account and its files as well so that I can just start afresh. But, although I deleted them, the folders in public_html as well as in www were still there. This is the current issue that asked them to remove or delete the files themselves. I haven't received their reply yet.

I am thinking now to just change the DNS to another host. And, start fresh from here.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    They created an info.php and gave you a URL to look at it of www.thataddon.com but they did not place it in the www/addon as that's not a directory. Now that's you're clear there on that, the rest should be easy.

This is where a new user can get into trouble quickly, whether it's one account like this, or an entire server. Wiping it to start fresh is fine if you're sure of what you're doing, if not you can make more of a mess.

To remove the addon domain you remove it the same way you added it. Same with any additional FTP accounts. (these are two separate things but both will have their own FTP login details.)

Assuming you've tried removing those files via your FTP account, have you tried removing the files in the directory public_html (that you would like to remove) using your File Manager in cPanel? If yes and they cannot be deleted, then you've lost ownership of the files, possibly because of that site builder you used to create them. I'm guessing here. But if that is the case, your host should be able to sort the ownership of the files for you easy enough.

That's always an option, of course. Good luck!

5. BusyMum

BusyMum Member

Thanks infopro.

The site is online with ipage now not with mochahost. ipage doesn't use the industry standard cPanel as they have their own cpanel. Their cpanel is quite simple and good for a non-techie like me.

I'll add domains on cPanel for other sites that I'll be creating in two to three weeks time because I bought another hosting account that has cPanel x3 theme. Can you please check if the process below is correct?

1. Point the domain to the host (DNS)?
    2. On cPanel, add an Addon Domain.
    3. Create new FTP Account.
    4. Publish website with xsitepro with its Publishing Details filled in as follows:

Domain name: www.addon-domain.tld
    Host Directory: /

FTP Server: IP address (I am given #s, not the usual .com, so I assume its IP)
    FTP Directory: public_html/addon_domain

FTP username: my username when I create new FTP account.
    FTP password: my password for FTP created.

Will that process work properly?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Maria

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes that should be fine. The only thing I would comment on is the added FTP account. When you create an addon domain you are asked to enter an FTP username and password that you come up with during creation. That should be fine to use for FTP login for your site builder.

In other words, unless you have a specific need to create that additional FTP account, there really is no need. You can use the FTP login details for the addon domain itself to get there.

Good luck!

7. BusyMum

BusyMum Member

Different site but still in trouble with cPanel

Hello infopro,

Thanks so much for your patience.

I published a new site on cPanel x3 theme with xsitepro site builder, filled in the publishing details as described but still couldn't go through in Publishing. The error, there is no such directory when directory public_html/addon_domain was there.

Do you mind to take a look on my site?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Maria

8. BusyMum

BusyMum Member

It's fine now!

Hello infopro,

I published the site again but without public_html, just /, then it goes live. But, the main domain and add_on domain have the same content. Do I need to do subdomain & redirects?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Maria

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It sounds like what you need to do is edit the config in dreamweaver again to point it to your addon domain when you upload it.

So, if the addon domain is mywebsite and the directory for it is located here on your account:
    /home/yourusername/public_html/mywebsite

And you said you just left it set to / to upload the main site and that worked, which would be here, BTW:
    /home/yourusername/public_html/

Then I think wherever you set it to / you might try changing to:

/mywebsite/

Then upload a simple index.html to the account and check that it's where it should be located. If you see it here at your addon domain URL /http://mywebsite.com, you're off the races. Upload the new site and you have two sites all set to go.

GL