The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plus addressing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bsich, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bsich

bsich Member

I am setting up mail return path with Civicrm. it has a return address like mail+123@bounce.xxx.org. I get a 550 No such user here. If I just send it to mail@bouncer.xxx.org it is received.

Do I need to do anything special to accept the Plus addressing

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. bsich

bsich Member

Michael, thanks for your response, My mail for this domain goes to Gmail. I am in the process of setting up a subdomain and using the catchall to get the bounces. I needed to establish a new cPanel account as I could not find a way of establishing a catchall for a subdomain in the original account.

Mailman looks like it uses some mechanism to get its email responses. How does it get around the plus address problem?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use the "Default Address" option in cPanel to configure a catchall address for a subdomain. Could you provide an example of how mailman supports plus addressing? Note that plus addressing is not the same thing as simply using a "+" symbol in the email address.

Thank you.

5. bsich

bsich Member

I was unable to find where to create the subdomain default address. I created another account just to house the bounce subdomain.

As for mailman it somehow gets the emails sent to its mailbox like mylist-join@example.com
    where the account is mylist and different functions like join are used to supply information. My CiviCRM needs to use information in the address to know how to deal with the incoming mail. It is not possible to establish a mailbox for each as it often includes the intended recipient of the email so when it is returned it knows what to manage.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is a drop-down list that includes subdomains when using the "Default Address" option in cPanel.

Mailmain is a third-party application, so the same functionality is not applied to standard emails with Exim. You might want to post on the Mailman forums to determine exactly how they implement that functionality.

Thank you.

7. zylstra

zylstra Member

Does cPanel accept emails with a + in them?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  9. zylstra

zylstra Member

I just found that my standard installation of cPanel does accept emails with a + in them, given I have a default account set. Perhaps you were referring to plus addressing (as the title states) as opposed to emails containing pluses.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for taking the time to report your results. Are you referring to logging into an email account, creating an email account with a plus symbol, or receiving an email from a remote server addressed to user+123@domain?

Thank you.

11. Vandon

Vandon Registered

He is referring to having an email address like bob@myserver.net.
    It's for when your local barbershop asks for your email address because 'coupons'. You can give them bob+shave@myserver.net and that email will be delivered into bob@myserver.net's email account.
    It's a great spam buster because you can see who's selling your emails and if you later decide that you didn't want their emails and they won't stop sending, you just blacklist bob+shave@myserver.net.

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator