The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Point DNS to WHM account

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by diggersworld, Dec 20, 2014.

1. diggersworld

diggersworld Registered

Hi, I'm primarily a web developer and for the most part of my career have worked on the coding side of projects, whilst someone else has managed the server. Server configuration is a bit of a black box to me.

I'm currently trying to launch a website which has been setup on a server with WHM and cPanel. The website is up and running and I'm now trying to point the domains to it. I thought this would be as easy as changing the IP address for the A records (and it so nearly is) but there is one sticking point.

To view the website I created in WHM/cPanel I have to use the link http://xx.xx.xx.xx/~account. Where xx is the IP, and ~account is the name of the account I setup. I have found that when I point the DNS to the IP address that I still have to include the ~account part on the end, e.g. http://domain.com/~account.

So how do I get it so that the ~account part is not needed in the URL?

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You mentioned that the website is up and running on cPanel/WHM. But then you mention pointing the domains to it? This is confusing. Do you have multiple domains that are pointing to the one website you set up? Or is each domain set up on cPanel/WHM? (that would be the correct way to set it up).

Do you have root access to the cPanel/WHM server? If so, please consider opening a ticket using the link in my signature and we can take a look at that for you. Please post the ticket number here so we can update this thread accordingly.

3. diggersworld

diggersworld Registered

It's OK I figured it out.

I set the dedicated IP to the account I created in WHM. I then pointed both the domains to the IP. For the additional domain I've set it as a parked domain.