Pointing domain to another server, but keep email service of old one, is it possible?

kaptnkill

Feb 16, 2011
Hi all, i recently change my domain a record to point to another server, but i wanted to keep email service from the old one (hostpapa).

The domain is example.ca and i can send mail with it but not receive them...there is no error though when sending an email to : [email protected]

Is it possible to tell cpanel or whm to use the old server only for mail?

also intodns doesnt seem to find errors

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

SB-Nick

Aug 26, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey,

This is possible, you need to edit the MX record for the domain and point it to the old server. Additionally, make sure you are using the right POP3/IMAP address when checking email. In this case, the POP3/IMAP address should be pointing to the old server.

kaptnkill

Feb 16, 2011
Hey,

This is possible, you need to edit the MX record for the domain and point it to the old server. Additionally, make sure you are using the right POP3/IMAP address when checking email. In this case, the POP3/IMAP address should be pointing to the old server.
Hi, first of all thanks for your answer.
on my cpanel i would put an ip address for the old server mx record?
As for pop3/IMAP, those are changed where in cpanel? Or its in the email client? because the mail worked before i changed domain a record to point to another server.

Many thanks to you

SB-Nick

Aug 26, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, updating the IP for the mail subdomain should be enough.

The MX record should look something like this:

mail.yourdomain.tld 14400 IN A oldserverIP
yourdomain.tld. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.yourdomain.tld

As forthe POP3/IMAP address goes, these are changed inside your mail client. Make sure you use mail.yourdomain.tld for either and you will be all set.

kaptnkill

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, updating the IP for the mail subdomain should be enough.

The MX record should look something like this:

mail.yourdomain.tld 14400 IN A oldserverIP
yourdomain.tld. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.yourdomain.tld

As forthe POP3/IMAP address goes, these are changed inside your mail client. Make sure you use mail.yourdomain.tld for either and you will be all set.
Ok, as for the mx record set on the old host, it should still point to the old server ip? All thoses changs are made from my cpanel side and not from the old server side, right?

Lastly, mail.example.tld or mail.example.ca ? Sorry for my noobness

SB-Nick

Aug 26, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, it should point to the old server IP. MX mail.example.ca, the .tld was just a reference.
The changes must be made on the nameservers controlling the DNS zone for your domain, use the link below to find out where the nameservers are setup.

intodns.com

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Yes, the previous post is correct. You'd make the change at wherever the DNS for the domain name is hosted. Also, on the server that hosts the website files, browse to "cPanel >> MX Entry" and select "Remote Mail Exchanger" under "Email Routing".

Thank you.